Creating Organic Forms in 3ds Max 2014

cjjatpuresilica

Hi, Can anyone please direct me to a comprehensive tutorial that will allow me as an inventor user, normally only using 3ds Max to render, to create a punctured lattice egg-shaped form similar to the structure in the attached image.

I have developed a spherical part in Inventor and want to 3D Print a holder for it. I realise that Inventor 2015 now has free-form modelling but it does not appear to be as fluid or versatile as in 3ds Max.

Many thanks.

CJJOrganic.jpg

Organic.jpg

The graphite modelling tools has a "topology" tool that will allow you to change the polys to a lattice structure.

So you might start with say a "tube" primitive, then using an edit poly modifier alter the topology, then using another edit poly use the "bridge" tool to create holes within the lattice, then finally add a turbosmooth modifer to smooth the result.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I just threw together a really quick tutorial on how to model this shape using box modelling and parametric deformers in the modifier stack. If you look at the scene from left to right you should be able to get an idea of how I did it, just go through the modifier stack and switch off the modifiers from top to bottom and you should be able to reverse engineer it, hope it helps

shape01.jpg

heres the max file

https://www.mediafire.com/?0b099771xig97g2