3ds Max to Unity for iPAD app

CEJ1976

Hi,

I have recently started an experimental project with a web developer.

We are aiming to export elements of my 3ds Max model into Unity's real time engine. We are hoping that this will then give us the interactivity required for a user to simply rotate the 3d models as they wish whilst interacting with an iPAD app that we will develop.

We aim to keep everything very simple, from geometry to texturing to the amount of interactivity available to the user.

Has anyone tried anything like this, and can anyone give me any tips or suggested workflows.

Thank you.

Sorry that I can't be specific, I'm not sure my work would be happy with me handing out any code or anything, but yes it can be done, if your aiming for iPad you need to be very cautious about memory. If you want any nice GUI elements either wait for 4.6 or pick up a package like ngui. In terms of workflow be aware that Unity will import your model from max with a 90 degree offset around the x axis. In terms of visual quality better shaders and maps will probably be the best place to look as you will want to keep things as low poly as possible, Image based lighting will work wonders for you situation. Also you can bake lightmaps in Unity Pro, but you can use external lightmaps as well.

In terms of development I recommend c#, though the app you want seems quite simple so it shouldn't matter. If you check the documentation, especially on the Transform class that should have most of what you need.

Hi,

Matthew gave you good advices.

I would add that you may also be careful about number of materials especially if you aim iPad2 as well.

See the Unity documentation about memory usage optimizations and drawcall optimization.

You may also use the iTween library. It's really helpful.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

N

• 3 months later...