Post Software

frog_a_lot

During my work in various firms I have noticed that a lot of people use different post software.. was just wondering what everyone here was using.. mainly talking still images for Arch Viz.

Couldn't find a way to make a poll.

Maybe also list pros/cons.. and any plugins

I mainly use PS with Magic Bullet Looks for 3D stuff and Lightroom for photography.

Options I have heard people using:

-PS

-After Effects

-Fusion

-Nuke

-Lightroom

-Paint

During my work in various firms I have noticed that a lot of people use different post software.. was just wondering what everyone here was using.. mainly talking still images for Arch Viz.

Couldn't find a way to make a poll.

Maybe also list pros/cons.. and any plugins

I mainly use PS with Magic Bullet Looks for 3D stuff and Lightroom for photography.

Options I have heard people using:

-PS

-After Effects

-Fusion

-Nuke

-Lightroom

-Paint

I have used a potato in the past.

Currently I use mostly Fusion but have been messing with Arion FX but its a bit limiting if your base 3D isnt amazing.

I have used a potato in the past.

Currently I use mostly Fusion but have been messing with Arion FX but its a bit limiting if your base 3D isnt amazing.

I will add Potato to the list, don't know how I forgot that.

So you guys using Nuke/Fusion.. do you add people, trees etc in that as well, or in something else and then bring them in as a layer/node

What's wrong with photoshop?

I can't see how I (or anybody else in this industry for that matter) could justify Nukes price tag for stills. Ever. Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. It's designed for massive production lines, motion picture, 4K etc. I can't imagine even the most fantastic of arch vis animations that you'd need to buy nuke (starting at £2,500 and going up to £6,000!) over something like after effects (which is superb I might add).

Edited by Macker

When your studio doesn't just work on Architectural Visualizations only and it has to survive by taking up other works, they preferred to keep one workflow/softwares for all purposes. We were working on Car Commercials which demanding the Sledgehammer(Nuke), besides sometimes ArchViz stuff was also that demanding that we had to incorporate Particle Effects and other elements in the scene, which would have been able to be done in AfterEffects but would have taken way way longer to get it finalized/done. So instead of wasting time with a small hammer on the walnut and waste the extra days on that, we just used the Sledgehammer and got it done.

I can't see how I (or anybody else in this industry for that matter) could justify Nukes price tag for stills. Ever. Sledgehammer to crack a walnut. It's designed for massive production lines, motion picture, 4K etc. I can't imagine even the most fantastic of arch vis animations that you'd need to buy nuke (starting at £2,500 and going up to £6,000!) over something like after effects (which is superb I might add).

Many people prefer the node layout over simple layers like in Photoshop.. The other issues is when you have a million iterations of an image it can be good to keep them as 'live' so they automatically update, and other programs handle this better than PS.

And yes then it comes down to if you or your company ventures into other work..After effects is quite good, but it is also quite annoying at times.. I know a fair few people who use it for still images.. I personally hate it for stills.. but thats personal preference

my images are *generally* full 3D and are stills and animation from the same files so fusion makes sense.

you can import the cameras and geometry seamlessly and build up a full 2D / 3D scene easily if you want. it has great colour tools, depth tools for haze, fog (using WPP) lens blurs, lens flares, glows and you can fiddle with re-lighting using a normals pass. it works properly with floating point images. it does have paint tools (not as good of PS but they are there) it has keying tools for greenscreen stuff and good masking abilities.

most of all its non destructive.

i still do use photoshop to make textures and make up background plates. i suppose again it really depends what you do. if its stills only and you are excellent at PS it probably makes little sense.

give it a try next time you are doing an animation. basic version is free.

I can't see how I (or anybody else in this industry for that matter) could justify Nukes price tag for stills. Ever.

Fusion is now free.

What i would like to ask is, how do you guys use ArionFX?

I tried it, and i just don't get it. It has that camera response list, but honestly all i see is different tinting of the image. Other options also, vignetting, film grain... Nothing that can't be done in Fusion (or just photoshop for that matter) with much more control.

Using it for stuff other than just arch vis stills I guess. Then using it for stills "because its there".

Edited by Richard7666