How in the world do you model this?

Some people are expertly specialized in modeling, so they might have a different answer.

But from the few seconds i spent thinking about it, i don't think there's a nice shortcut, using nurbs or something. I think it's a case of good old fashion polygon modeling, starting with a thin tube at the base with lots of division points.

Then hours of fun await you, building the shape upward, adjusting every vertexes as you go up. The shape is not dissimilar to a face. Modeling a face the old fashion way (don't know if there's new tricks, haven't done it in years) starts with a single polygon right in the middle of the eyes.

As i said, you might want to wait a bit for another answer that wouldn't be so time consuming but sometimes one has to go in and fight with hundreds of vertexes.

So if you do it like that, put your phone on silence, crank up the music and go into the zone for awhile.

Good luck and have fun!

When i saw your answer, i thought 'hum, a challenge' and then i started to turn around to go to one of my computers and remembered they're all busy rendering an animation, sorry.

My only other thought is that the basic shape is not too difficult. And the handle with the recessed part is not that bad either by itself. So you can perhaps do it in two parts. The difficulty of course is to plan ahead so that your two parts have the same (or a factor of two at worse) amount of polygons at the openings to attach or bridge them together. Even then, you still have a lot of adjustment to make, specially at the top where the handle meets the border of the cup.

That's all i have at this point.

Give us news if you can :)

To me i think thats going to be one of those awkward ones, with no way round just getting deep in to it. Use the Symmetry to limit the amount you need to model. keep it as low poly as possible at first until you get the general flow, i usually start with 8 sides with Cylindrical objects as that way you can fairly easily join rectangles and other cylindrical objects.

Let us know how you get on, would be good to see how you did it in the end.

I have never used C4D (didn't see forum menu till now), but I gave it less than 10mins in 3ds max. Maybe you can use this for inspiration? Basically as the other say: Start with a cylinder and an amount of subdivs that can give you the rough form. Then utilize modifiers to refine the object. I put on a turbosmooth and some FFD modifiers in the "end". Still a way to go, but the "hours of fun" claimed earlier, really depends on your level of expertise with the program :)

kande.JPG

Maybe do a spline base and the edge extrusion approach? If so lots of tuts online to give ideas.

I stand corrected on...one and a half points ;)

-i used the word tube; i meant cylinder.

-hours of fun; of course you're right it depends on your level of, as i said, 'expertly specialized in modeling'. I just meant that if one is not at your expert level, he or she will have hours of fun to get there.

Impressive result.

I thought it would take me less than an hour, but less than 10 mins! Wow :)

Edit: that was meant for Jens; forgot to hit 'with quote'

Edited by marcellabbe

Hey everyone thank you for your replies!

Jens, that progression is really helpful. Almost like a video. I will try modifiers. I was trying to do it with just basic modeling but i may as well use them and in time, learn how to bend and shape the forms purely by "hand", so to speak.

Very helpful, all of you. I will post results but itneill be a while. Now I'm being asked to do wine glasses which is easier.

Thanks again!

Marcel, I could probably have hours of fun too really trying to nail it ;) Really depends on what the model will be used for. If I'm not sure, I'll block out the rough shape and then it's "easy" to add more detail with additional modifiers later - if needed for a close-up shot.

Ryan, no problem. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the results.