Augmented Reality

Alpenshiva

Hello!

During the last days, I tested some mobil phone apps for AR.

It´s funny to see a 3D model of a building hovering above my desk.

Is there a way to produce a model on my own and view it with an app?

I found some offers in the web, but quite expensive.

Currently I´m using 3ds max and vray for rendering.

Have a nice weekend.

Hi,

There's a decent app I've been testing at the moment called Augment (http://www.augment.com/) which has a downloadable plugin for 3ds Max so your model can be exported straight to the app software. It's not bad but there's a poly limit: I think 1,000,000 so its no good for high poly models or scenes, this is generally the case I've found with 'do it yourself' augmented reality apps though. As I said, it's not bad but at the moment I don't think the quality's good enough for me to be able to present it to clients. I'm only just touching on it though so hopefully will come across something in the near future.

For client caliber AR, check this new technology out:

Google's Project Tango Tablet

UNBiLT app for Project Tango by Hoyt Architects

There was also the HoloLens demo from awhile back that shows some promising use of AR:

First wave of HoloLens developer editions ships end of this month, but costs $3,000 US and would be dependent on developers such as Trimble to make their tools available for testing before a final consumer version of the hardware is available.

Thank you for your comments.

I think there is a big upcoming market for architectural vizualization.

New presentation devices like the Samsung Gear VR or other will improve. I wonder when Vray will present some new technologies like Unreal Engine which makes renderings for walkthroughs with glasses possible.