3dx Max complete tutorial (beginner to expert) - Where to find online?

hamzasyal

Hello everyone,

I am an architecture student currently in my 3rd year. I noticed this site has a lot of people from the industry frequently posting and sharing their advice.

I wanted to learn 3ds max from the start all the way to the end. That meaning from the very basics of the software (tools, menus, options, etc) all the way to the end (Rendering, texturing, lighting, VRAY etc).

Unfortunately for me, I'm not being able to find a complete A-Z guided list of tutorials (the way I mentioned earlier, from the start to end). Everywhere I've searched is either tutorials discussing very specific features of the software, or jumping right into somewhere just after the beginner lessons.

If anyone would could recommend me a course/tutorial that covers all of this, no matter how long (50 videos, or 500), that would be really helpful to me.

Please note that the only software I know is AutoCAD (proficient) and Sketchup (Basics).

Thank you :)

Hi Hamza,

A book I found helpful in my third year of Uni was: "3ds Max Design Architectural Visualization for Intermediate Users". I bought many books but this one was the most useful. It is a little old now, but much of the info is still relevant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3ds-Max-Design-Architectural-Visualization/dp/0240821076

I don't think you will find all the info you require from any one source. You will need to be a bit of a detective :) If you tackle problems as they come up, you will learn specifically what you actually need to know. So it's a case of practice makes perfect.

This forum and other online resources will be most valuable to you. Video tutorials have taken over from books. These vary a lot in quality, so it's worth finding out how your favourite artists actually work. They may offer tutorials or tips & tricks on their websites/blogs. There are also some well established online courses that will certainly help with specific skills, like Grant Warwick's stuff.

I find with so much info available online, that the dilemma is discerning what is relevant to you. So it's good to be sure your workflow for the fundamentals is sound (Modelling buildings, using V-Ray, using Photoshop, etc). After a while I think you will be able to cherry-pick more specific bits of info from here and there.

In terms of employability, it's worth considering that some applications are so commonplace in arch-viz, that it might be a mistake not to be proficient in these. It depends on your job aspirations for the future. You may need to fit in with the workflow of a studio, so if most studios use 3ds Max, learning this will make you more valuable. It seems you recognise this. Because these programs can be so extensive, we need to focus on the fundamental day-to-day arch-viz specific tasks, and try to avoid getting sidetracked by cool features that won't actually be useful in production.

Best wishes,

T :)

Edited by TomasEsperanza

I'm a student in New Zealand and my university allows me full access to lynda tutorials. That's what I've used, it goes from completely basic through to intermediate stuff - getting to be pro seems to just be a matter of time and experience and personal preference.

See if your school allows you access to this or something similar, then it's just a matter of searching for specific stuff as you become proficient.

To be honest I would start with the 3d max Help, you can't go wrong just going through this, http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/ I think this will answer any question you will have in learning max. The max help files have so much information to using 3d max to its fullest. Unless your mainly looking for video tutorials I highly recommend using this way. Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...