Artist License and Image Use

Hello CG World,

I am in the process of starting my first business, and would appreciate some feedback on the legal aspect of things. In a nutshell, the business will provide digital documentation (images/drawings) of existing spaces (mostly rental properties) to be used in the marketing and advertising of said space.

A couple things I need to consider:

1) Requiring written credit (to me) with all usages of the image

2) Fee - flat rate per image, or royalty/usage based fee? (I'm guessing flat rate)

3) Copyright Release or Usage Agreement? (Artist License Agreement?)

4) Examples or templates of contracts that I can modify for my use

Any other thoughts on this would be well appreciated. Thanks!

I wish man, but honestly Arch Viz does not work like Photography.

You get hired to produce images/videos, for some architect or designer, and they hold the rights of the project. What you can do is place in your contracts that you reserve the rights to use those images to promote your business/art. Sometimes some client do not agree with this and they make you sign an agreement that you can't use any of their images.

I would love if Arch Viz work like photographers right and such...

https://deardesignstudent.com/never-write-a-contract-using-cut-and-paste-ce0b2b87c2c5#.953e375r0

"Writing contracts is not an activity to be taken lightly. Consider your time working with a lawyer as a smart and necessary investment for you and your business."

Make sure you clear this with the original architect/designer of the space. Because if you screw something up in the floor plan, they won't want to be the ones that get the blame.

https://deardesignstudent.com/never-write-a-contract-using-cut-and-paste-ce0b2b87c2c5#.953e375r0

"Writing contracts is not an activity to be taken lightly. Consider your time working with a lawyer as a smart and necessary investment for you and your business."

Make sure you clear this with the original architect/designer of the space. Because if you screw something up in the floor plan, they won't want to be the ones that get the blame.

You make a good point about the original owner. My target client will be existing rental spaces (apartments, commercial spaces, etc), so I am not working with new or remodel design projects. I am producing marketing material for something that already exists, so it would be good to have something protecting me in case there is a discrepancy between the material I provide and what is actually there.