360 Sterescopic images presentation tool?

CEJ1976

Hi,

I recently viewed an impressive presentation of an apartment interior. The presentation featured about six separate 360 stereoscopic images that were viewed on the Samsung headset.

You transitioned between each of the images by lining up your eye line hotspot with a symbol that indicated the next room within the interior.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a presentation too like this, or if anyone knew if this feature could be developed with an existing of the shelf app?

I really liked the fact that no hands were needed to swipe the side of the headset to go from one image to another, it was all done with head movement.

Thank you.

for 3ds max and mentalray i found some camera shaders called "domemaster". i was able to render out a 360 equitangular (2:1 ratio) image for left eye / right eye. i transferred those two images to my android phone and used PSViewer 3.3 (for cardboard) to load and compress to photosphere one of the images (named eye_L.jpg). PSViewer automatically created the photosphere with the eye_R.jpg image without me having to pick it. finally i dropped my phone into a google cardboard box and it worked - full 3d!

the problem is, cardboard is not working very well for me on my phone. i drift to the left and get sick to my stomach. it's an older droid maxx phone.

i've been hoping to find out whether or not the same process can be followed (ie, create two jpg's and transfer to phone) with samsung gear vr? there's some information - like rendering your scene on autodesk 360 and supposedly being able to download a stereoscopic set of images, then install a 3rd party app and then run a special script, extract files and move them various places... i've seen people say it worked or didn't work or was too complicated for them to get it to work.

most of the info i can find on the net is about 360 stereoscopic videos - useless to me at this point. i just want what worked above but on a rock-stable setup with no drift, better quality lenses for the eyes.

they say samsung gear vr is definitely a step up from cardboard, but i've never seen it in action. above that is getting into something like htc vive or long drawn out oculus rift which i guess is supposed to be actually shipping now.

anyway. yeah i'd like to know more and i'm researching more but like i said most of the info is on 3d video and not much on 360 panos. over time it might change but unfortunately not soon enough for me! haha.

edit: oh i do have krpano and have tried it out with webvr using chrome dev app on my phone and cardboard viewer, but it is clunky (navigation) although it does work.

@op, what you experienced could be quite easily done with unreal engine blueprint's and community-made templates or even in unity if you know how to program.

I've already compiled a simple stereo viewer app (that could view vray stereo renderings for example) using free stuff on ue4 forums, just haven't implemented the transition icons. But doing it yourself you could go wild!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ciaran,

Do you mean you have a series of static camera steroscopic images and you would like to stitch them together into a "virtual tour"?

This is exactly what I am trying to find out myself, would be keen to hear whether you've had any success.

Thanks for the reply Philippe, I managed to find krpano whilst looking around and have also tried Pano2VR. I found the latter a bit easier to pick up as krpano requires some coding ability of which I have none.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...