VR Popup Info

Jason Matthews

Hello all. I am doing a little research into VR and the ability to add popup information. So, I am thinking about creating a scene and rendering out to VR for Occulus Rift. I want to add info for the client such as cost/sf, or materials, etc. when they look at a floor or wall for example. With all of the new software hitting the market I am at a loss. Is there software that can do this? Thinking of rendering from either Lumion or 3D Max.

TIA.

Hopefully some one can give you a better solution, but for what I know there are none software that can do that by default.

Also a little basics, when you said that you want to render on VRay and use the Oculus Riff, remember you have two main options, one is render spherical stereoscopic panoramas than later can be viewed as still image with the riff or cardboard. Interaction here is limited really.

The other one is real time, that you can actually walk around( walking with the HTC Vive or using game controller with the Riff), for that you'll need to use a game engine such Unity, Unreal or Stingray. There if you learn some coding you could create a complete interactive experience.

Again there are not default solutions that I know for what you are asking.

I have been learning Stingray and I am pretty sure it won't be that difficult to create 'pop up info cards' but it need some coding.

There are other real-time engines such enscape, tha let you see BIM data inside the VR player, but I am not sure if you can create your own. Most of those are function limited because they are designed as an one click solution to walk on VR.

Best luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason

We have just released VR Easy for Unity and we have a widget that does exactly what you are looking for.

Here is a tutorial on how to create a popup using VR Easy:

Have lots more widgets that works with just drag and drop eg. turning on/off objects/lights, loading scenes (to switch between scenes with fading in and out), PopUp Info, swapping objects/materials/meshes and more.

More info like video tutorials, manuals, tip and tricks can be found here: http://blog.avrworks.com