VR Options and Pricing VR Services

Dave Buckley

Hi guys - it's been a while since I've used the forum - but I have a couple of questions I'm hoping people can help out with.

VR - i'm a bit late to the party with this, although i've been keeping a wandering eye on the latest goings on (just about) - hard to keep up as a small startup just initially trying to make ends meet - normal bread and butter work takes control of your time as you all probably know.

But - I'm now starting to take a serious interest in it as my jobs are getting bigger, budgets are getting bigger, clients interest in VR possibilities is getting bigger.

I can just about hold a conversation about it enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about to someone who's just heard the term VR.

But I want to know more.

There's a tonne of info out there, but where do you start? It seems there are hundred of different possibilities/softwares/applications for VR. From standard 360 Pano Tours, to full immersive realtime game engine stuff.

So question 1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good starting point that perhaps highlights the different uses and applications of VR in our industry? Something that details the seemingly endless possibilities?

I'm also reading in Jeff's article this quote:

"I’ve even spoken to one company who told me the revenue they are currently generating on the VR side of the business is surpassing their bread and butter imagery work in terms of profitability."

Which brings me to pricing - the quote above suggests there's a lot of money to be made with VR - why is this? Is it purely down to the amount of time that goes into producing VR content/services for clients or is this down to 'a price' that people are putting on VR in relation to it's value to clients?

So question 2.

How, if at all, are you pricing VR services differently to your normal stills/film based viz work?

Sorry for the long post but any help is much appreciated.

Hi Dave,

I am in a very tight deadline this week but I just wanted to chime in just because I don't see much information regarding VR in this forum.

There are some lose thread here and there, you can do a search, but like one specific place where we all can talk and share experiences, there is not much.

As soon as I have time I write what I know. Other wise PM and I can talk you after hours.

I would encourage everyone here in the forum to share their experiences.

I know Jeff did a Facebook dedicated to Archviz VR, but I don't use Facebook and I know there are lots of other pros that don't use it either so is nice to have something here.

Cheers.