Why doesn't ProBoolean work anymore!!

tomlowe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

We have always found booleans/pro-booleand twitchy and would save before we begin any boolean work in max (but Autodesk are only small so how can we expect them to catch all the bugs, right? ..hmm)

I'd agree with Jose, the version of Max you are using could be the issue. We're still on 2016, despite having 3ds max on subscription.

Jose, how are you finding 2019 in term of glitches/ general stability? I've been looking for a post on this but it's promising that there doesn't seem to be a flood of posts complaining about the release.

Regards

Jesper Pedersen

http://www.pedersenfocus.ie

They also changed the good old boolean from 16 to 18 (probably in 17, but we skip odds). Luckily they kept the old one accessible in maxscript, because the new one didn't work for our operations at all. It started giving results back like proboolean, which returns missing or buggy polys, if anything at all.

We have an important intern tool written in maxscript which relies on boolean, because of that proboolean bug.

There's a trick, however, that you could try. There seem to be something going on in the object type translation which sometimes makes it work by clicking proboolean, boolean, shapemerge, boolean, proboolean, before trying an operation again. Not sure why, but that sometimes makes the probool work. Same with boolean.

Such a shame they changed boolean into the same shit as proboolean is.

Anyway too unstable. It should be able to cut any simple geometry.

Jesper,

I haven't had much to complain about with 2019 - We did skip 2017 and 2018 though and I'm curious if we'll be allowed continued access to 2016 next year. What I can think of at the moment is the same issue with the booleans that Tom brought up. Additionally, I seem to have a glitch where the spinner jumps if I click and drag it down or up beyond the edge of the screen. I forget if this happened a lot in 2016 or not... Another thing I ran into was black tiles from imported Infraworks .fbx files. Autodesk provided a script to fix these tiles and if I recall correctly, the bitmaps came in fine but their tiling was jumbled on import for some reason.

They also changed the good old boolean from 16 to 18 (probably in 17, but we skip odds). Luckily they kept the old one accessible in maxscript, because the new one didn't work for our operations at all. It started giving results back like proboolean, which returns missing or buggy polys, if anything at all.

We have an important intern tool written in maxscript which relies on boolean, because of that proboolean bug.

There's a trick, however, that you could try. There seem to be something going on in the object type translation which sometimes makes it work by clicking proboolean, boolean, shapemerge, boolean, proboolean, before trying an operation again. Not sure why, but that sometimes makes the probool work. Same with boolean.

Such a shame they changed boolean into the same shit as proboolean is.

Anyway too unstable. It should be able to cut any simple geometry.

I was just going to come in and post a similar topic and saw this thread. I just did the "upgrade" to Max 2019, and I find the boolean operations absolutely horrible. My workflow is completely disrupted as I have to export my scene to Max 2016 to do any sort of boolean operations. I am finding that more often than not, using Max 2019 my objects just disappear when performing a boolean operation using the default boolean tool, and when using the Pro Boolean tool my Max simply crashes or creates a corrupted object. Using Max 2016, I am able to perform these same operations using the default boolean's without a hitch.

Is your script that your firm developed something you would be willing to share or sell? I am relieved to hear that the old code is still hidden in there. There is much I like about Max 2019, but the broken booleans is ruining the experience for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Sorry to be such a slow responder, like five years later. I totally forgot about it. This boolean case is still being an issue for 3ds max. 
For this mentioned script in particular, it's a cladding script which makes you able to put different types of cladding on polygons with a one click solution. 
So say you have a wall, you just detach the faces where you want the cladding, and then it applies it. It also hides the base geometry, and it also works on multiple selected walls. In theory you could select 100 different polygons and have a cladding applied to all of them while you go fetch a coffee.

You could tailor it to have other geometries than cladding as well. I can rewrite the script and maybe make a plugin out of it, but I'm not sure if the effort is worth it or if it's a market for it.