Onyx - Time to move on...

Peter M. Gruhn

Have a new project. Need some new trees.

Sat down to make a palm tree. Crashed. Crashed again. Okay, I'll just tweak an existing one in max, all I really need is a much taller trunk. Probably just the Palm editor is buggy.

Sat down to make a cyprus (conifer). Going nicely. Go to save it. Crashes. That's an actual drag. I need this tree.

For years I've been disappointed in some things with Onyx, but it was expensive (to me). And the trees are good in the end. And SpeedTree is expensive if sweeeeeet.

But if I can't actually use Onyx to get my work done...

Am I the last person with Onyx?

This talk about tree generator and plants in general is a very long-standing issue here and other forums. I guess, we all have the same issue, of requiring great plants, but they are hard to find.

I am a believer that X frog really dropped the ball here, IMO it was the most comprehensive collection of plants and species, but it never got updated.

Having said that, there are other options, and some of them are just good enough for most uses.

You can try:

Grow FX (Less realistic but it works inside 3D Max)

Speed tree, (there is an 'architects' version is cheaper.)

Plant Factory (Good output, monthly payment option.

laubwerk (not a tree generator but you can adjust a preset tree this last one is my favorite because the eas to use and adjust tree density.)

and last but not least, there are several 3D developers with good trees collections.

We use some of Evermotion, Real Trees, Viztrees. and all the software above.