Work in progress on a Guest Bedroom in a large log home

Tim Holmes

1555122852.jpg

Studio/Institution: West Rim Digital Media, Lester Ohio
Client: None, Learning Project
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: Blender 2.8
Description:

Hi Folks -- this is a very early work in progress on a guest bedroom (15 x 17) in a large (10,000+ sq/ft) log home that I am designing and drawing as a learning project. As it stands, I am not especially happy with the look, but I'm not sure what is off either. I know the lighting is terrible, and I'll be fixing that, but beyond that, really not sure. Right now the lighting is just what the outside HDRI is contributing, its rendered in EEVEE in blender 2.8

Thanks

TIM

I dont know eevee but the HDRI light should come frome the window, there are some tiling repetition on the ground, the bed model is not good, try to find other. And try to work with the materials, variation on the glossy, bump, normals etc. But the most important thing is the lighting.

Jesus:

Thanks for the feedback -- I agree the lighting is rough -- I knew that when I posted, I need to work on that over the next couple sessions. The bed can be changed, what do you recommend? and likewise for the materials, I'd like your feeback on what needs to change / how to change it

Thanks

TIM

Well this isn't something i could explain in a post, it requires practice and knowledge.

First of all, you need to underestand how PBR materials work, there is a book made for allegoritmic, 'the PBR guide', it's short and cheap, i would recomend you to read it.

The bed is your last problem at this point, there is a lot in turbosquid or similars..

Edited by jesusgomez2

If you are starting from scratch, I would recommend taking an image that you like, a simple one, and then try to recreate that image, if you are new to ArchViz, and don't know much your software or techniques involved to create Arch Viz images, it would be very hard for you to know what to do, what to fix, what steps to follow to create a nice image straight out of your mind.

Many things are involved in this process, Modeling, Texturing, Shaders, Lighting, Composition, Photo retouch. If you are not familiar with any of them, it will be very frustrating at the beginning.

I would recommend starting first following tutorials of your main Modeling tool, learn how it works and what are the possibilities, then take an already modeled scene, and work with that in texturing, materials, lighting. Or just take an already worked scene and only concentrate on lighting or materials.

Approaching everything from scratch won't be productive. Separate your task and steps.

Also always look at photographs as a sample to follow.

simple bedroom design

Regarding models, you can use 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com, Turbo squid and many other free or paid websites.

Best luck.

I am not very experienced with blender and it's rendering options, but I don't think EEVEE is ideal for what you are trying to accomplish here. A safer start would be with cycles I think.

There is a good series of tutorials from blender guru that cover basics on these topics. What you are particularly looking for at this juncture will be texturing, lighting, and rendering:

You can go back and develop your skill in modeling and the others once you start seeing a decent result, just to give yourself a little boost in motivation.