Work In Progress -- Wooden Chair

1558230979.jpg

Studio/Institution: West Rim Digital Media, Lester Ohio
Client: Not Disclosed
Genre: Other
Software: Blender 2.8
Description:

Hi Folks:

Here is a wooden chair that I did from a concept sketch for a project I work with. This particular project had a lot of work with curves that I have never done before, so I learned some things. Comments and critiques very welcome, however if possible, please suggest methods of fixing the problems that you note, so that I can learn better ways of doing things

Thanks

TIMWooden Chair for Art Station and Reviews.jpg

Like my teacher used to say, if something looks wrong, there is something wrong. It is hard to pinpoint to something precisely here, but that chair doesn't look good.

Also, the image composition and lighting is not helping.

First, everything needs to be up to real-world scale, maybe it is and the camera lens is making it look smaller than actually is, but if not please build everything as it would be in the real world.

Materials have a basic physics limitation, if that chair is mostly wood, there are some elements that seem too thin, they look like they will break easily.

Works needs to be done on materials too.

The camera angle is not helping, maybe the lens is to narrow( larger mm number), the camera is too high. Also, the lighting is strange, the chair is not projecting shadows right where it touches the floor, the shadow seems transparent closer to the chair and darker as it gets furtherer from it, that is the opposite how is happening in real life.

I would recommend to research for a furniture manufacturer and see how they photograph their products. see how they illuminate the scene, camera position, and overall composition.

Then check materials, detail on the mesh and all.

Hi Tim,

Although, Francisco had already explained everything in a very detail - even I appreciate him for such close observations.

I only want to add if you can check 3dsky.org ( pro models ), you will definitely improve your visualization after observing like how artists present their work there.

Also they have a free studio download setup - try to download and observe how they are using it for images on their site.