Blender 2.8 for Modeling

3darchitect

Hey Everyone,

I've been using Sketchup for years for all my arch modeling. I use Revit at work but not when I'm focusing on a piece for visualization purposes. Recently Blender 2.8 came out and I've been reading up on it and want to start experimenting. Sketchup can be great once you have a million plugins, but I've been looking for a more powerful modeling software to take over for a while now. Does anyone use Blender (specifically the latest version) as their primary modeling package? Not talking about rendering of any kind here, just modeling.

I think one of the reasons Sketchup is popular among architecture professionals is that it functions more similar to CAD based software than other modelers such as 3DSmax. Blender doesn't seem to be much closer to a CAD environment, but I'm intrigued by the new UI and functions and its promising future.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke,

I don't use it as my main modeler but I will chime in anyway. I've been really interested in it since 2.8 alpha and have been working on learning it on and off since then. There are great tools there for modeling but there are also many add-ons to help to model. For example "snap utilities" which adds some inferencing tools somewhat similar to sketchup. I think it's actually being incorporated into the main build if it hasn't been already. Other big add-ons are hard-ops, box cutter, mesh machine, etc. there are also tutorials on youtube showing how to model accurately with dimensions. I also recommend Aidy Burrows/Creative Shrimp's hard surface modeling tutorials which runs about $60.