corona proxies roblem

Gonzalo Prades

Hi, i am converting the trees into corona proxies, as i usually did before in previous versions, but now seem that the proxies are not doing their job: normally converting the trees to proxies and scatter them allowed me to scatter a big quantity of them (12000) for instance and render them, i am aware that the proxies doesn't speed up the render but allow to have a big load of them in one image.

What is happening now is that the computer runs out of RAM just scattering 2000 of them (instances), I've got 64 Gb RAM.

I have tried many things: uncheck the box in order not to have them loaded on the RAM, seven in more than one location in two different HD in the computer... nothing seems to work and I am doing the same I was doing before with other versions.

I am using: 3d Max 2018 (tried in 2020 and same problem) and corona 3... i can use normal mesh trees (up to the total the Ram allows me) but they overload the memory.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

if the particular tree(s) are very dense and has large textures (with opacity leaves) Corona will eat your ram in no time, I updated all our render machines to 128gb when doing Corona projects (usually outdoor areas). If you are using forestpro I suggest you set the distance clipping or density and limit the clipping to the 'camera' view (when you select your camera you will see your forest areas remove trees that are outside of the camera view - a big triangle shape from top down).

Thanks! Seems that maybe it was a “normal” behavior after all. My trees have no reflection neither opacity and still I can not put more that 500 with 64 GB ram. Some people told me about more than 10000 with 32GB, (now I don’t know if they were gray proxy)... but if I remember well 3 years ago I was able to populate much much more of them... ok. I’ll use forest pack then.

The way proxies works is, it creates a dynamic object that is only loaded when rendering is required, a difference of a regular mesh that is loaded when the file is open, this feature helps to manage RAM usage, but if those objects are visible in your shot then they will load into RAM anyways.

If you have a 1 Million polys tree, you could copy it around your scene 1 million times with Forrest pro and in scene it will use very little memory, but when you are using progressive rendering method it will have to load all those millions of trees with millions of polygons on it, then your RAM will get the hit of the polycounts. That's one of the main advantages of Bucket rendering because the proxy elements are loaded when the bucket call for them.

We also create large amount of landscaping for large sites, but we optimized our vegetation to get the best of it, you should create trees and plats for medium or large shots and have more detail trees and plants for close up or extreme close up, it is not recommended to use the same tree/plant for all purposes, you'll run out of RAM very quickly. Proxies are not magical, very useful but not magical. :)

• 1 year later...

My understanding was that Corona proxies don't work the same way we were used to with Vray, due to the progressive nature of the rendering as @Francisco Penaloza mentioned. Their function primarily lightens the file size by offloading that geometry to file and improves viewport performance. If its in shot at render time then it must be loaded to RAM. 

I was pretty gutted when I realised this as well. Have to admit I've not had too many issues with it though, you just have to get your head round the limitations of them. Strange you are seeing a drastic shift though. Have you tried contacting them on Facebook, or their Forum. They are always very responsive

• 1 month later...