Question on Starting out and building portfolio

CJ deV

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding building a portfolio for arch viz and the ethics involved surrounding source images.

A bit of background: I've been working in Architecture for just over a decade and have used rendering software like Vray / C4D etc. for quite some time during my professional career and at University. The Architectural firm I work for at the moment is relatively traditional still and we don't really deep dive into rendering for clients - I've even suggested we add that as an additional service for our clients but have mostly run into a wall on that suggestion as it is not a priority. I'm looking into furthering my knowledge of rendering software as I've always enjoyed it a lot but doing it on the side is my only option.

How do you go about building your portfolio and showcase your skills to prospective clients if you have no clients? I've watched some videos explaining that a good way to exercise and improve on your skills is to use photos and try to match the scene/lighting etc. and see how close you can come to matching the real thing. The thing is, how ethical is it to, for instance, use a photo you see of a building on Instagram and try to re-create it in 3D software and using the renders you created as part of your portfolio?

Would giving credit to the photographer/architect suffice? Since I'm not trying to pass off a photo of a building as my own but using the 3D exclusively as showcasing my skills would I even require the consent of the architect/photographer? Should I contact them directly to ask permission? 

I'm trying to avoid doing something that could be considered unethical - yet i'm 50/50 on whether what I'm trying to do can be considered as such as whatever I will be showcasing will have been 100% done by myself in a different medium to the original. It still sounds a little iffy though..

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
CJ

It is perfectly fine to take a photo you found on the web and recreate it digitally. In fact, that is the best way to enhance your skills as you are trying to match real world examples. If you look at Artstation, it is full of people recreating other people's work as a way to enhance their skills.

As long as you give credit to the original, you are good to go. You do not need permission. The only time you need permission is if you are going to literally use their photograph, but since you are recreating it, you are not going to violate anything.

• Like 1

CJ- It's really no different then an artist standing outside and painting a picture of a downtown scene.  You're not taking an existing 3d model you didn't create and use it to render are you?  As you seem to be ethical Iby nature of your instinct to ask, I think your common sense will guide you.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1