How to use vrayblendmaterial mixing a tileable and non tileable textures

Marco Manunta

Hello there, 

as you can see on this image, in this rendering i am working for fun with Poliigon asphalt textures. There is a basic seamless asphalt texture and i want to detail this texture with some patches. I am using vrayblend with the base asphalt + one patch on coat 1 and the patch mask as blend. All this with UVW Map Modifier. 

The problem is as you can see that i don't want the patches to run seamlessly through all the surface. I want them in some specific points. I know i could use Unwrap UVW and add them on photoshop, but then i would have to adapt all the layers (displacement, Normal, Reflections etc etc). I would love to use the textures without tweaking to much. 

Is there a easy way to "reveal" the patches trough some kind of surface painting texture (like on substance painter) ?

thanks! 

trash.jpg

As @TomD_Arch mentioned you could use a Noise or any procedural shader in the blend slot. then it will display the texture only when the shader is white.

You will need to adjust the size of this noise shader.  This will still produce a some sort of 'pattern' shader, but you can combine with many sub layers to break any repetition.

Other way can be using Vertex paint. then you will have to manually 'paint' the areas to reveal the selected texture.  Be sure to subdivide enough the selected geometry to have better 'resolution' in your vertex painting. otherwise it will generate only large block or blotches instead of softer transitions.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, 

first of all, i realized i was in a bad section of the forum to post this. Sorry, these days i ve my head somewhere else. 

secondly, i don't think this is a good solution. It's good if you have to make water puddles. But here we are speaking of something which will show up only once or twice in the whole surface. So the best method that i know it's Unwrap UVW. But i wanted to know if in your workflow exists a way to paint directly a mask in 3DS Max in order to show details without importing textures in third parties software...Francisco, i guess vertexpaint is the nearest solution for what i m looking..