It's all coming here

Hello world (or. . . user forum population), I like Archviz, and I wanna do it a lot. I wanna be good at it, and I'm convinced this site might help me out with that, or, at the very least, point me in the right direction. I'm a complete beginner, I'm here to make every mistake I can (but avoid it if possible), and I don't see myself stopping anytime no matter how brutally honest this forum may or may not be. My love for 3D along with architecture is why i wanna take a crack at archviz.  My point is I wanna use this place as a dump for my archviz journey starting with one step at a time, I believe the transparency of this site can help me with that. 

Weird speech aside, My toolset is 3DS Max, Vray, Unreal, Photoshop, and the plugins that love them. I cant wait to be apart of this community and soak it all in. thank you for your time

Edited by Dominique Whitfield

I guess for starters, I've never actually opened Vray until the other day, it seems kind of intimidating at first. Honestly, Vray isn't as overwhelming as I thought, so with that said, I just made a very minimal scene to understand lighting. This is my scene with no lights and just a sky and a few Vray settings. Currently looking into lighting tuts

NOLIGHTHallwaypass.thumb.gif.055569263223653f90d511d850f8a4df.gif

Here my first time using Vray Sun, this doesn't feel right but at the same time i'm actually tired of looking at this Hallway. I wanna use a more realistic scene and go from there, not that that i don't like this but I can't see myself utilizing this any further than sun/light testing honestly.

SUNLIGHTHallwaypass.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

some rule of thumbs.

If you are a beguines, just take thing easy, and do not desperate if things are not looking right from the beginning. there is a lot to learn so just be patient and keep on working.

Is you are using 3D Max nd V-Ray, you need to separate the tech part from the artistic par, and work them separated at the beginning, to avoid getting frustrated, because thins are not working.

Having said that you are lucky that today V Ray is almost preset from default,  most of the tutorials you see online are outdated, forget about all the button pushing and settings maneuvers we used to do, just reset your V Ray to default and concentrate on modeling, materials, illumination, composition and post processing. All together will create a good image, not any single of these part will save the day, but all working together.

Always, and always use photography as reference. There are many Architectural photographer with great portfolios, look at those, see how they frame and lit the scene. See how the adjust colors and create a story, that's what is the heavy load for Visualization nowadays, not the button pushing paraphernalia.

Keep it up ;)

Fco.

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome aboard. Both to the forum and to the industry. There is plenty to learn, and certainly plenty experienced here who can lend some friendly advice. You are in a fortunate position in that the internet is a wonderful place to pick up lots of help and direction, unfortunately its a double edged sword in that while its has lots to help it also has lots to get lost in and red herrings. As you are right at the start of your journey you don't have the experience to sort the wheat from the chaff in this information overload so will find it very easy to chase your tail here trying to get results. I agree with Francisco, there is time to get in to render settings, preferred light set ups etc. At the moment, don't worry about that. Get the shapes down, get the materials down, broad strokes. Build up the confidence over time. Like a sculptors workflow, go from big shapes and progressively work down to smaller.

Honestly i think you were on to a better one from the start. Build a small focused scene like the arches. Keep it simple and for each subsequent project build complexity. the more you have to focus on right now, the more opportunity to make mistakes you don't know how to fix. This results in googling down a rabbit hole. pick a beginner tutorial, follow it to the end. pick another, follow it to the end. This will build confidence and give you short sharp end goals and things to achieve. Don't worry about creating works of art quite yet, your time will come. Just like going to the gym, your body cant be built in a day. It takes time and dedication.

Try a still life like collection of fruit or a front door scene or something. There is a reason they still do that in fine art. Its a small scene that allows you to experiment with techniques, different compositions, lighting all in a simple to manage scene. Keep the focus small at first and your skills will pick up very quickly.

Thanks for sharing and Keep posting! 

Firstly I wanna thank you guys, not only for taking a look, but for the incredible feedback. I say that because a lot of what has been said here hits the nail on the head. 

@Francisco Penaloza I see what you mean, after figuring it out I decided to leave it alone, I only stressed it at first because I initially thought that if I have the technical part down I can focus on the art side more, but I realize you CAN separate the two.

@Curtis Walker EVERYTHING you’ve said, I’ve experienced, an honestly, you’re right I should start small and build. With that said,  I’m going to try more minimal things and go from there.

thank you both again this means a lot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

Not too long I had to go out of town so i didn't have enough time, but now that that's over I just wanted to get back in the swing of things. So, I wanted to take a better understanding of fabric and translucency and how lights passes through fabric as well as shadow placement etc. . . This took me all day, and since it finally finished rendering, I just wanted to put this up before I pass out.

If you decided to click on this thread, WELCOME! Please don't be a stranger, if there's anything in here you love/like/can't quite put the finger on it/rubs you the wrong way, please don't hesitate, good or bad, I completely understand.

Stay safe everyone,

Dom.

EDIT: Curtains were in Marvelous Designer, everything else was 3DS Max

ArchWall2.thumb.png.9eee5ace7b22da9e9ea3cfd3f1e10e22.png