advice on how to create 3d render with existing picture composition

jorge aguirre

I'm looking to get some advice on how to create something similar to the picture that's attached. 

I have a project for a 2 story remodel that I'd like to create an exterior rendering for. I'd like to photoshop the new exterior rendering onto a picture taken of the site from across the street. 

As an architect I know there are things that I need to jot down and take into account like:

weather

time/sun location

distance from the object

I guess where I need help is how do I get the best picture or if I can get some advice on something I'm missing so that I can get the best picture(s) possible to make that final rendering/image that I'm looking to create.

Thanks!

example.PNG

When taking photos for use in rendering, there are a few simple things to remember. 

1. Use a tripod, keep your camera level at all costs.
  2. Record the lens you are using as this will translate to your 3D camera, if you are using a 35mm lens, you want a 35mm lens in your 3D scene.
  3. Record any information such as F-stops, ISO, film speed. These will also translate to your 3D scene to help make the model scene match the photo scene.
  4. Record the camera height off of the ground.
  5. Use a decent camera. Sure phone cameras are getting better, but nothing beats a good handheld camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Also if you are sending some one else to take that photo, be sure to ask them for the RAW image or none eddied photo. sometimes photographer correct vertical or lens distortions on the images.  That will make the image more pleasant but it makes almost impossible to match later on any 3D software.

If you want to go beyond on the camera matching, you may also want to capture the environment (panoramas) to match the lighting in your CG scene also check white balance used by the camera so you can have overall similar colors in your scene.