1172503750_Scene6Light.thumb.jpg.131b939ae1c90cfe8323f89f8883257a.jpg

Im attempting a more full environment here, more lived-in, than in the original marketing material scene showing these homes.

The client renders had no front yard trees (but most homes do so on this street) so i added them here for this personal work.

I also think i need advice on how to blend the curb to street intersection from looking CG.  Can anyone offer that or other suggestions on how to add more realism.  Maybe i need to be more subtle with the water puddles.?  Or random object scatter?  Or edge of street displace map?

Its difficult to show new buildings yet at the same time capture nature and dirt.  

Thanks for looking.

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Overall this look nice, I also have a hard time convincing people that in real life there are tree in front their properties LOL

Now the word realism it is pretty wide and miss understood IMO. Some people offer a 'realism' as the perfect scenario that a project will look, perfect sky, everything clean and neat. Other people goes right the opposite side, with lost of grunch and dirt. I usually use google street to look the neighborhood and get visual clues of the area. Type of landscaping, cleanness, how the weather affect the project and so on.

In your case, I think your white material, I imagine it is wood, it seem a little blow out, like 100%white, this doesn't happens in real life unless you take an over exposed photography. also trees and plants are not uniformly a single color, if green is the overall color, there will be some dark areas or bright areas, also some part will get dry or burn , but this also depends on the geographical location, I live and work in Southern California so most landscaping it is in survival mode LOL. But I used to live in Houston Texas where it is very humid so greens were very punchy.

In your case I think the street is too dark in comparison to your drive way. usually there will be a level difference, unless both things are asphalt, ( this is very strange), so the line I see in between it doesn't look strange to me, but there should be a little dirt for sure in there, or car wheel dirt.

The water is too perfect, and even though this can be real it is not helping much your image, because it is the first thing your eyes go to. If I am photographing this I will broom away that puddle actually. Maybe It is the contrast of the dark asphalt and the bright water. I would make the puddle smaller or just make the asphalt a little wet so the eyes goes to the houses.

I did a few similar project long time ago and I also had the same issue that the building look like they were falling backwards. this could be fix with camera correction, forcing it or moving the camera higher to reduce this effect.

Your grass look too even too, different patches of colors and different length would help to make it look more natural.

I always try to make an image pleasant, this will dictate how much detail or realism I will work on. In your case the image looks good, f you want it to look  photo real, then work on your landscaping mostly, toning down brightness.

Best luck.

Francisco, I learn from your balance of art and technical.  Really constructive & i too lived many years in Houston now Atlanta so i can relate. 

Regarding whites and veg, you think my focus is in post? Do you get similar straight frame buffer output?

And what are your thoughts on how to render new construction - but at same time read real-world/lived in that i think is important.

let me know what you think.  thanks for your time with this your an inspiration.

Hey Paul, I rely consistently on Photoshop for post work, now this depends of course of how much time I have for each project, but sometimes it is faster to brush something inside Photoshop than fudge it in 3D.  I am old timer on this, so I guess I got used to fix everything that 3D couldn't get by then.

Now regarding the whites you can do it in man ways, if you like to get most of it inside the frame buffer, then you need to adjust your color mapping. With V-Ray and Corona you also have Film tone mapping profiles that works really well and some camera profiles.  If I know that I won't shift much my image in post then I used them. Because this effect will clamp your dynamic range on your image. I usually output EXR with multi layers, this gives me the flexibility I need to deal with the demand of our clients.

There are other people who do all that tone mapping in the frame buffer and output JPG and that's OK too, there is no absolute wrong or right here, whatever works for you.

The main thing is when you prep your materials then be sure to not use 100% or White, or 100% saturated textures.

Here I am attaching a crop of a project that I am working now, in there you can see what I meant with new construction, color variation in grass and trees. You can see I added some grunge on the concrete walls, I will be adding some on the concrete benches too, but not too much because this client like things clean. The ''white' wall are a little pink now because this is a late afternoon shot, I know they will ask me "why the wall are not 100% white", hopefully they understand otherwise I will have to de saturate them a little.

At the end of the day we need to be flexible so the client comes back right?

I have visited Atlanta a few times, it is very nice over there too, for some reason I really like riding the subway there LOL

Crop_CC.jpg

Outstanding.  I will keep working on it and re-post.  Working in 3-d is alot like working on a golf swing plenty of tutorial materials are out there the hard part is knowing what is relevant personally.   And you cant teach the Art, maybe only hope to improve some from experience.

I hate to ask this, do you have a link to any more sharable renders to help illustrate those points.  Thanks again

On 5/19/2021 at 10:15 AM, Paul Springer said:

I hate to ask this, do you have a link to any more sharable renders to help illustrate those points.  Thanks again

Well I need to work in updating my website for sure, as for now, most of the work I do are competition or private investors so I can't share, I am sorry.

There are a lot of images around, you can find many examples or inspiration on this website too. But rather than comparing with other 3D images I would recommend searching for good photography and try to reverse engineering what you like about that image and go from there.

And yes there is not 'magic' button to make a rendering great.  Lots of testing and trying. ;)

Best luck.