Revit - 3DS Max - VRay Workflow

K M

Hi.

I am currently completing arch viz projects on the side for a couple clients and am looking at expanding into higher end production as a second option for specific clients.

My current workflow is to model the building in Revit using the .dwg files I am sent from the client and once complete I move into Lumion for the rendering, before I finalize with post production in Photoshop. Both Revit and 3DS Max have VRay, however 3DS max has the additional plug-ins that could advance the imagery beyond what is capable in Revit. 

As I have been looking at expanding into VRay, I was wondering what experiences others had who have a drafting background and what their workflow is like? Is it worth continuing with Revit (a program I am very familiar with) and testing the VRay plug in? Should I consider taking the time to learn 3DS Max? Alternatively is the Revit to 3DS Max to VRay workflow worth considering?

Thanks

It really depends on what your intentions are. If you are going to import Revit into Max, change none of the geometry or textures, and just use Max + Vray then your output won't be any better. You'd be better off sticking with Vray inside Revit and stay in the same software ecosystem. Just know that rendering inside Revit has always been tacked on, so it's never going to be a solid integrated process as you would have in Max.

Since you are starting with DWG files to begin with, you could full move your workflow to Max only and skip the Revit part. No matter how you look at it, Revit geometry imported into Max isn't always the best stuff to use. They have gotten a lot better at the import process, but it's still not there yet. Unless of course, you need a set of prints which then Revit would still play a role.

Max is a bit of a beast to learn, so don't expect to learn in within a week or even a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well this forum is full of tales and experiences shared about all this. jut look around.

As a quick recap, whatever software that you feel comfortable working with, is the 'best choice'. Nothing wrong with model in REVIT and render in REVIT or render in Lumion, 3Dmax or excel.

Having said that, each software has its strengths and limitations, and that's where 3D Max is recommended to do the renderings and animations instead of REVIT. Because it is designed for that, compared to REVIT that is a BIM base modeling app.

Both software can talk to each other just fine.  Now working with REVIT and Lumion is also pretty fluent. To get to the next level is all in the details. The more care you take on the models and quality of textures, shaders and entourage, lighting, composition ETC, the better the image will be.

Learning or not learning 3D Max, is always better to know more, more software gives you more flexibility and more choices to to express your creativity.

Best luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1