Skills required to get a good job in archviz.

Umar Momin

Hi!

This is Umar Momin and am in my final year of Computer Science Engineering, but I have learned 3d Modelling, texturing, Rendering and in some cases I even make my own PBR materials, I have been doing for several years now as a hobby and even did some freelance projects.

After my graduation I want to get a full time remote job in Archviz. So in order to achieve this goal what are the skills and softwares that I need to learn, and what kind of job exactly will I get, like do I have to plan how the interior would look or somebody will give me the reference and I have to make a 3d Scene according to that? I need to know what things should I be prepared for and how the job works.

I still dont have a portfolio but these are some of my renders(All of them done using Blender), Please let me know how can I get better and a year later be able to join and archviz company. 

Thank You.

Render7.jpg

6.jpg

27913396_365066660643350_1222587385244505635_o.jpg

80900681_815493772267301_3427539371434180608_n.jpg

I think from a software standpoint, Blender is perfectly acceptable to use. You could use something like Max, but Blender has gotten to the point that if I were to start all over again I'd be in Blender. The biggest key is less about the modeling software, but your efficiency in it. To work in this industry you need to be fast so understanding all of the tools and plugins that Blender offers to make your workflow more agile is critical. One area to stand out is getting into Unreal and doing work in there. Many places are starting to seriously look at Unreal as a legit workflow, but few places have a true understanding of the workflow required.

You need to have a basic understanding of architecture + construction and should be able to read a set of blueprints. You need to be able to find information in blueprints that you may need for reference, so knowing how to find sheets is important. Some projects you will get everything you need from a client, some projects you may need to fill in the gaps.

Your work is pretty good, but it is just like everything that is out there. When we hire people and are going through portfolio review, 90 out of 100 will all look the same. The quality of work is high, but it is just so copy-paste from what everyone else is doing that the quality itself does not make it stand out. The world of residential interior renderings of furniture is so overloaded with people that you'll be fighting the bottom feeders for work, the folks that charge 5 bucks a render with unlimited revisions. You need to distinguish yourself from this group of people. Try working on a few exterior shots, but stay away from rainy day in the city shots unless you can do something outstanding and fresh with that as that is another area where people are doing top level work but they all end up looking the same.

Speaking of quality. You need to find a balance between quality and speed. It also doesn't help when you find out it took someone 3 months to do a single image and when you tell them that in a studio environment that they'll have 3 days to do the same. They turn a nice shade of ghostly white as the realization sets in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to add a little to what Velvet Elvis mentioned, I would strongly recommend to research about what Arch Viz is about.  You are studying computer science which is not related to 3D graphics only, other than you are using computers.  I've seen many young people like you, that someone tell them to learn 'this' software to do 'that' job, but at the end the job or later on profession is way beyond the software or tools you use.  Please understand this opinions goes with good intentions. As mentioned by Velvel. many people show us their work, very proud that they know how to push this or that button on this or that software, and they get the same image that they see on their social media. But when real projects come, lack of creativity, organizations skill, communication skills, problem solving, shows really quick and then frustrations kicks in. Arch Viz is a very cool profession, but is very stressing or frustrating if you don't know how to be flexible. The software you use with today technology is almost irrelevant.  Depending on the area you work the city or the continent, there are standards that you will have to adapt to, but your creativity and style should make the difference, and that should be your focus on developing.

I have worked on companies where they use, 3Ds Max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Modo, AutoCAD, Skethchup and every raytracing know by man. the job just has to get done.

Don't think because you learned some REVIT, now you can be an Architect. or even a drafter.  I would recommend you to meet people in your area that do what you are learning or apply for internships, try to find a mentor.  After that if you feel is working for you, then you can decide to try bigger companies or going solo.

As Visualization Artist, you have to be a jack of many trades. sometimes clients (Architects, Contractors, Developers, Home owners, others) they will send you everything, you have to do what they want. other times is more flexible, you can propose things. Other time you start from scratch, or you work along the Architect or similar designer.

Try to learn why we do what we do, and see if that's what you fell good doing, you may find out that maybe your call is Object modeling for a gaming company, or compositing for a VFX studio, or gaming developer, maybe numbers are your thing more than painting in Photoshop, who knows. 

I would recommend an internship first, that will show you little by little how thing are done, what really is involve in this profession, then you can decide if it is your call.

Best luck.

• Thanks 1