Revit Workflow - Sketchup?

Derek Carson

Hello,

I am sure this topic has been discussed in full detail.  If so, please be so kind and point me in that direction. 

I am graphic designer who has been using Sketchup early in the schematic design phase to help present concepts to our clients.  We are finally utilizing BIM more in the office.  The issue is our BIM guys essentially have to build their model from scratch.  I was hoping to find a better system in which they could take my existing model and modify without little difficulty.

My questions are - Should I stick with Sketchup as my modeling tool? Has anyone found a better way to model in Sketchup that works better for Revit Models?  Is there a better software currently in the market that does  better job bridging the two programs (Form-It?)  I realize one is more visualization software... and the other is a CAD software.

Do I need to just bite the bullet, and learn to model in Revit? I just feel that Sketchup is very efficient when it comes to knocking out conceptual ideas?  However, I am finding it may not be helping my team in developing a concept into construction documents.

Anyone experienced this dilemma.  Thanks for your time!

This is a bigger discussion than an Archviz one, but my 2p is that you should keep using the tools your comfortable with if loose conceptual work is your aim. Revit really falls down here, it's structured and not quick or easy to model anything outside the box (from watching others struggle with this, not personal experience). So if you're the concepts guy, keep working in sketchup. Here we have Sketchup for early conceptual sutff, 3dsMax (me) for the high end visualisations and Revit for the project stuff that's actually going to get built, designs are developed in Revit with the help of Enscape, but they're not the best looking things, and more of a tool for the Architects internal discussions than to impress anyone else. Max plays fairly well with Sketchup, and really well with Revit, but going from Sketchup to Revit, as you've found out, nearly always requires starting again.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Just to support what Tom mentioned, there is not 'easy' way to import model in REVIT. Everything needs to be modeled so all the part become a BIM system. Remember that's the whole purpose of using REVIT, if you click a wall or a column you'll get data from it, not just a mesh.

The workflow you described is is all around the planet, and most all of them have to re model everything from scratch, some will use the sketchup as a base other will try to recover some, but really REVIT want you to model it .

We are testing Rhino/REVIT workflow. It kind of work but the workflow is very clumsy and the plugin Rhino inside still has long way to go.

Autodesk just announced a new workflow for Rhino in to REVIT, we need to see how well or bad they did with that.

Form it, is a OK tool but it lacks a lot of options that Sketchup or Rhino will run circles around it.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to gather insights and share experiences on integrating SketchUp into a Revit workflow. As someone working with Silicon Valley Infomedia, we often find ourselves navigating between these two powerful tools. Each has its strengths: Revit for detailed BIM modeling and documentation, and SketchUp for its intuitive, quick concept modeling.

Here are some questions to get the conversation started:

1. How do you integrate SketchUp models into your Revit workflow?

• What file formats do you use?
    • Do you use any specific plugins or software for smooth transitions?
  2. What are the primary challenges you face when importing SketchUp models into Revit?

• Are there issues with geometry, materials, or object classification?
  3. Have you developed any best practices or workflows to optimize this process?

• Any tips on maintaining model integrity or avoiding common pitfalls?
  4. Are there particular types of projects or phases where you find SketchUp more advantageous before transitioning to Revit?

• Conceptual design, schematic design, etc.
  5. What are your thoughts on the future of these tools working together?

• Do you foresee better integration or new tools on the horizon?

At Silicon Valley Infomedia, we've found that the combination of SketchUp for initial design and Revit for detailed BIM modeling allows us to deliver comprehensive and efficient project outcomes. However, we're always on the lookout for ways to improve our workflows and ensure seamless transitions between tools.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Best regards,

Silicon Valley Infomedia