Vray - Cubic\Equirectangular Renders - Glare problems clipping

Daniel_Doerksen

Hi Everyone, 

If any of you have worked with 360 renders you may have found that rendering bloom and glare causes bleed across the seamlines as it is calculated in image space (see attached image for an example) This is more common in cubic format, due to the nature of having very different parts of the scene one pixel apart.

I am wondering if anyone has a workaround/workflow to avoid this while still being able to benefit from the beauty that bloom brings?

Thanks!

bloombleed_example.jpg

This is not possible in rendering, because this is a post  effect that uses pixel brightness to drive glowing areas. The work around as Nicolai mentioned has to done in post. What I have done a few times is render a spherical panorama and apply glow in Photoshop. Then offset the image to check the join area and then using a plugin we create the cube pano format.  There was a plugin that can do this inside Photoshop, but since Adobe is ditching all 360 and 3D features of Photoshop not sure if that plugin will work anymore.

Yeah I like that approach... spherical render --> separate glare, offset and fix seam --> correct offset --> convert to cube. 

Do you have a "spherical to cube converter" that saves the 6:1 aspect that v-ray outputs you could share a link to. hopefully not the cross format or vertical "facebook format.  

We use KR Pano for that type of Panoramas, lately we just render spheres because we manage our 360 with Unreal.

V-Ray has a strange order for the cubes because they followed Samsung VR style, for some reason.

KR Pano has several batch actions that transform your panoramas to different outputs. But if I remember correctly we created an separate action in Photoshop to re arrange V-Ray cube renders. We never used Samsung VR equipment. For what I recalled we had to change the order to use cube panoramas. That's was one of the reasons I moved to spherical panoramas and create our own 360 viewer in Unreal.