Viewport Clipping problem after Archicad FBX import

Marco Manunta

Hello there,

it seems i am the only one having this really annoying problem with viewport clipping and i really need your feedback because it's really annoying. 

Whenever i import a 3D Model from Archicad (both with 3ds or FBX) the 3D is way far from the origin. So i select everything and move it to the origin. The problem is that in perspective view i have to tweak everytime the viewport clipping because the 3D is not always well visible. Sometimes i m ok with it, but there are times where the model is not visible even with the right viewport clipping slider. The scale is ok. 

What is your workflow in this kind of situations ? 

thanks in advance and take care! 

• 1 month later...

Have you tried reset xform on the imported geometry after moving it?

Usually when stuff is far from project origin, the geometry can "jump around", and generally be a pain to work with. This happens in Archicad 3d viewport as well, so the proper workflow there is to model the building close to project origin, and reference the map so that you can figure out real world coordinates for construction purposes.

My workflow from Archicad is via .3ds, you can use the 3d viewport in archicad, save as, filename.3ds, set model units to 1000 mm, construct 3d studio objects according to surfaces, and write out archicad texture information if you need it, plus object = group name for ease of navigation in 3d studio.