new moebius ring from torolf :)

jotero

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats cool... My thesis in undergrad involved topology and visualization. Did some studies of Klein-Bottles (basically a Moebius strip combined with a torus). Impossible to build in a standard 3d package basically because it only has one side, and the concept of a surface normal makes that impossible. The same is true with a moebius strip.... you can, however, represent it with a series of sticks, just not a surface.

Thats cool... My thesis in undergrad involved topology and visualization. Did some studies of Klein-Bottles (basically a Moebius strip combined with a torus). Impossible to build in a standard 3d package basically because it only has one side, and the concept of a surface normal makes that impossible. The same is true with a moebius strip.... you can, however, represent it with a series of sticks, just not a surface.

yes klein-bottles :)

k3dsurf.jpg

good tool :)

http://k3dsurf.sourceforge.net/

ciao

torolf

Apologies if I'm just looking at this wrong, but if I trace a side around once I end up at the same point - a Moebius figure with a triangle cross section would be done with a sweep with a 120 degree rotation, so if you trace one "side" around, you end on a different "side" from where you started, and of you go around 3 times you're back at the beginning - so there's actually one side.

Quick example I did in C4D, as an FBX6 file. The red part is doing what I'm talking about.

Apologies if I'm just looking at this wrong, but if I trace a side around once I end up at the same point - a Moebius figure with a triangle cross section would be done with a sweep with a 120 degree rotation, so if you trace one "side" around, you end on a different "side" from where you started, and of you go around 3 times you're back at the beginning - so there's actually one side.

Quick example I did in C4D, as an FBX6 file. The red part is doing what I'm talking about.

3ds or wrl (C4D fileI) cannot read! thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks all :)

TopMod free for all

TopMod is based on a new paradigm that allows dynamically changing the topology of 2-manifold polygonal meshes. The new paradigm always guarantees topological consistency of polygonal meshes. Based on our paradigm, by simply adding and deleting edges,handles can be created and deleted, holes can be opened or closed, polygonal meshes can be connected or disconnected. These edge insertion and edge deletion operations are highly consistent with subdivision algorithms. In particular, these operations can easily be included into a subdivision modeling system such that the topological changes and subdivision operations can be performed alternatively during model construction. TopMod demonstrates practical examples of topology changes based on this new paradigm and show that the new paradigm is convenient, effective, efficient, and friendly to subdivision surfaces.

topmod_jotero.jpg

ciao

torolf

In the interest of being on topic, here's an architectural visualization :)

That render just got me thinking. Imagine if someone created a roller-coster ride frm the concept of a moebius ring. The structural considerations would probably be tricky, but with a 3 ring setup like your render here, it means that the riders would have 3 different views from very position they pass through per every 3 different loops; pretty trippy if you think about it.....

• 1 month later...

@Carlo

I can just take a guess here. Maybe someone deleted/edited his thread,

so that he has reposted the content now at evermotion ... Of course I,

could be totaly wrong here. I'll ask him ... :p:D;)

take care

Oleg

@Carlo

I can just take a guess here. Maybe someone deleted/edited his thread,

so that he has reposted the content now at evermotion ... Of course I,

could be totaly wrong here. I'll ask him ... :p:D;)

take care

Oleg

thanks a lot...sorry, but on tuesday im a bit slow... :D

BTW Tom is at Evermotion too? eheheheheh