Rendering a 3D Floor Plan : How?

daytripper108

Hi There,

I am new to V-ray. I have created a detailed 3D model in Sketchup, and am now trying to use Vray for Sketchup to create rendered floor plans, with soft lighting and shadows.

The renderings I've tried so far have ended with 'render canceled' or have been all white.

Do I have to create a large light source over the entire floor plan? Any advice for which settings to use to create a professional looking floor plan?

All white rendering... hmmmm.

I'm not familiar with VRay for SketchUp, but an all-white rendering sounds like what happens with a VRay light that's set to the default brightness value of 30. Unless you're using exposure control and you're using VRay lights, turn them down to a value of .035 -.045.

VRay's "physically accurate" default value of 30 is intended to be used with the VRay camera and Exposure Control.

TimF

Prep your interior like you normally do for the interior shots. Make sure that when you model everything you have the ceiling as one object that closes everything and uncheck "visible to camera". Set a camera above and adjust your composition, then press render ;)

The only issues you'll have this way is with the top of the walls. You can do it either in photoshop or do some more work in max and close them.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

what i have done is first off set your field of view in sketchup to 1, this will make things look like parallel projection, but will stay updated with the vray physical camera.

then hit the view from above in sketchup to get a plan view. you should then see the walls as in plan. i would recommend using the vray sun which then perfectly gives you the desired shadows which you can change with the time of day.

you will also have to set your camera iso way down, i used 50 and it turned out quite well.

an odd thing occured with this as well, the render was perfect, but it was mirrored for some odd reason, but that is an easy fix in photoshop

cheers