Using Photoshop to give SketchUp renderings a hand quality

Hi everyone! I've found a few other threads on this topic, and they've been great!

I've been using SketchUp for some time now, and have just started using the Podium plugin, which makes everything look beautiful and quite realistic! However, I tend to prefer drawings that look drawn, not computer rendered. Anyone have favorite Photoshop filters or techniques that easily transform sketchup images into watercolor-like renderings?

Thanks!

Megan

• 3 weeks later...

SketchUp styles are a good approach and there are many new ones appearing all the time, just have to keep up to date with them. I will post a link soon as soon as I achieve 10 posts here, as I can't post a link until I have posted at least 10 times.:) (You can drop into our site: Sketchupartists.org, where you will find lots of info on what you are looking for).

Edited by James Hannigan

I saw this thread just after I had already posted this rendering in another thread:

Bathroom-clay2.jpg

This was done by taking the Sketchy Edges from SketchUp and pasting them on top of the rendered image. This can be easily down in Photoshop using "multiple mode"

(Actually the renderer I used does this as an automatic feature - creating a hidden line image from SketchUp, saving it to disk, creating the rendered image, and then pasting the hidden line image on top)

Edited by Al Hart

This is anoher approach - using a SketchUp add-on NprTools.

It takes the shadows in the SketchUp drawing and replaces them with a cross hatch pattern. (All done in SketchUp with no use of Photoshop)

House1-white-SS-bp.png

(The trees were alredy NPR - from Entourage Arts)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would use a combo of both Photoshop and SU styles. I export several different linework layers using SU lines and styles linework then multiply them in Photoshop. Export them at a high res like 3000 pixels because they will look cleaner at a smaller scale IMO. Also, stay away from the straight Photoshop Watercolor filter, it's awful. The result never looks like watercolor, just a muddy mess. Try using a mixture of median and smart blur to get rid of the details.