Interior Modeling Tutorial

Graham Nixon

Hi peeps,

thought this might deserve a new thread all of it's own. Gabriella gave me the link to a great looking tutorial, but neither of us can understand it, could somebody take a look at it???

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/mich/

First one to explain it well enough for me to complete the model gets a case of beer on me!!!

HONEST. 24 cans of lovely lager. mmm.

Remember, it's the first one that i can complete, i.e. I will look at the first posted tutorial and if i can't do it i will let you know and move on to the next one.

Good luck,

Graham

Thanks Chad,

it's the technique for actually cutting holes and putting windows in that interests me. I would like to be able to complete the model in the way specified in the tutorial. Therein lies the challenge for you all.

By the way the "competition" is open to overseas peeps as well. I'll send a cheque for the equilvalent amount.

graham

Do I get part of the prize for a helpful hint? ;-)

Quickslice is under the Edit Polygon menu. There is also a 'slice' tool with the Meshtools (the script that comes with Max, but isn't installed).

Hope that helps. Thanks for the nice tutorial link!!

Do I get part of the prize for a helpful hint? ;-)

Quickslice is under the Edit Polygon menu. There is also a 'slice' tool with the Meshtools (the script that comes with Max, but isn't installed).

Hope that helps. Thanks for the nice tutorial link!!

Nope. LOL. Nice try though.

The requirement is to translate the first 3 steps of the tutorial so that a divvie like me can follow it exactly to the letter.

Having looked through a load of threads on this and other forums i can see that this tutorial would answer maybe 80% of all the questions, so its got to be worth it.

Good luck all who try, and remember, it's 24 cans!!!

Graham

Here's my crack of that tutorial. It's all 8 images in there step by step.

Hi,

i've had a quick look and i have to say it is very impressive work. I will look at it first thing in the morning and will try to build the scene. Looks very promising though.

Thanks again for the hard work. Keep looking at this thread for details of the winner.

Anyone else think the competition idea is a good one??? if so i will probably post some more in the future.

Looking forward to starting on this in the morning.

Bye for now.

graham

I've looked at the tutorial posted by Noi-pi... and I think that he deserves the beers :)

The trick is extruding in more phases the plane.. and then closing the windows with another orizontal extrude...

In my opinion is a bit tricky way to model... you'll have to collapse the vertices at the end... and the probability of errors raise ...

At the beginning I thought that there was a possibility to make the holes in the extruded plane simply slicing (or connecting) and deleting the planes created.. but obiovoiusly that didn't work!

So the final result is.. without boolean it not possible to make holes in a mesh (or in a poly) even with quick slice or slice...

Am I wrong?

Gabriella

Hi all,

well, part 1 is completed, all going well so far, although it took me nearly an hour to work out how to weld the vertices as in STEP 9. For all the other noobs out there, when you extrude a poly, the new faces this creates have to be deleted before you can weld the vertices. Probably really simple stuff, but the kind of thing that can have someone like me stumped for ages.

I hope my diagram is easy to understand. Anyway, back to the drawing board, making the windows.

Cheers

Graham

P.S. Gabriella, you can slice the holes, delete the new poly's and the in Poly sub-object CREATE NEW POLY to fill the holes. I think, i saw someone do it once.

Well, some folks have diffrent modeling techniques. Some even do it the hard way. Some knows the short-cuts.

To avoid error in collapsing the vertices, they must have the same coordinates. Use copy paste in the transform type-in. Below are some techniques in welding vertices.

And oh, I already bought some peanuts for my beer!

Hello Everyone,

I hope you guys don't mind, but I've been following this thread and tutorial as well :) I am a newb and this tutorial with the added examples and input from more experienced users is really helping me.

I found myself between projects today and have started my model. Could never have got past Step 1 without Noi Pi - so thank you for your graphic explanations Noi Pi.

Question: Is there any difference (or benefits) by connecting the vertices using either Collapse, Weld or Target Weld? I found Collapse to be the easiest for me. (But had a few headaches early on with slice till I got the hang of it).

Graham, I've finished part one as well now - and about to tackle the windows.

I'll let you know how I get on !

Oh...and I'll throw in a bottle opener to your chosen winner !!

Regards, Kris

Hi

Been scratching my head over this for a while this arvo:

How to remove diagonal lines ?

(Window_05.jpg)

I have no idea and am stuck (and afraid that Graham will catch up and maybe get ahead of me) :)

Regards Kris

I downloaded the zip yesterday and it worked perfectly...

perhaps there are problems of low connection... the site is VERY slow...

I have to thanks a lot Noi-Pi for the explainations... clear and simple to follow... I've learned a lot, and I have to thank you for your patience :)

To Kris... the thread is made for everyone who looks at it, and I hope had helped lot of people that, like me, get lost while are modeling in max :)

But I'm confident :) I learn fast...

About the diagonal lines... they are Edges, so go in sub-object level, select and press canc. But I recommend you to use loft to make windows... is more

flexible and more simple...and you can change the shape at any time.

Cheers,

Gabry

Ta- Da,

well here it is, part one done and dusted. Noi-Pi is the winner, well done mate and thanks very much. I know you told me you don't want a crate of beer, just let me know if there is a charity i could donate the equivalent amount to!!!

Anyway, who would like to keep this thread going???

I'm guessing Kris and Gabriella at least???

If a number of us all try to complete it we can help each other out and compare efforts along the way, could be fun!!!

Cheers all, and Nio-Pi you are a star!!!

Graham

About the diagonal lines... they are Edges, so go in sub-object level, select and press canc. But I recommend you to use loft to make windows... is more

flexible and more simple...and you can change the shape at any time.

Cheers,

Gabry

Hi Gabriella,

When I select the edges and delete I loose the newly created object. Must be doing something wrong here. ( see this is why I need this thread and some help:)

Also,why do the diagonal lines need to be removed? Sorry for the newb questions.

I am using Viz2005 - would this make any difference?

Regards Kris