would anyone be interested in an informal lighting competition?

mattclinch

i've got a very simple but nice model of a sealed room with a single recessed skylight that allows a beam of light to shine on a particular object.

i thought maybe if we locked of the camera view, resolution, and ratio. agreed specific materials for floor, walls, etc and then simply set about trying to get the most realistic lighting setup possible using whatever renderer.

hopefully to highlight strengths and weaknesses of renderers and spark conversation on techniques, reasons for setups and best practices.

anyone fancy it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup count me in!

I would agree with you about the camera and materials too, keep them locked (maybe just simple colours, with reflections, rerfactions, bumps?) so we can see direct comparisons. Also maybe no post production work (including things like exposure, curves inside vray frame buffer), just the raw RGB?

The CG talk lighting challenges are good, but so much of their "lighting" challenge is down to modelling, materials and composition.

yea, i'm happy with that. perhaps a basic concrete material for the walls (diff, spec, and norm maps), and a wooden board floor (diff, spec, and norm maps) and the object in a bright red ceramic material (teapot i think..) so we can look at colour bleed. this makes the materials relevant to architecture.

definitely happy with no post though - means exposure settings can be given out too, as i always use custom set for this too.

arrghh no post!!

my raw renders loook generally rubbish, as long as the lighting balance is there and materials are clear im done

then blur and colour in post

_ _ _

i would however participate. dunno about the set materials though

Edited by nicnic

yea, competition was the wrong word to use really. "collaborative learning project" or something equally middle management sounding would have been more appropriate.

no reason people can't do a bit of post if they are prepared to share it, so long as they also show the raw render? what do we think?

Maybe be a bit flexible with materials, but stick to a general conecept, like you said concrete, wood, and a strong diffuse colour, but let us tweek the materials too. Plus it may be a bit hard to keep everything unifrom and fair when people use different software. Maybe some of the challenge could be perfect the materials too, and we share our settings?

• 2 weeks later...