would anyone be interested in an informal lighting competition?

mattclinch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nic, you are not pure post :) I am.. hehe

arrghh no post!!

my raw renders loook generally rubbish, as long as the lighting balance is there and materials are clear im done

then blur and colour in post

_ _ _

i would however participate. dunno about the set materials though

ok all i've included the files below in multiple formats. any problems with the exports let me know and i'll try and fix them, and if anyone else can upload any native formats once they have a clean import i'd appreciate it.

i've tweaked an old model i used for setting up my materials and made it a bit more interesting - dressed it as an old pirate-esque store room. make it as clean or as murky as you like. the models are all freely available online - most from google warehouse or similar, so there may be some geometry fun to be had :)

i've used a skew modifier on the camera - if anyone has problems replicating this or importing it i can include a file with the camera only, or just give you the cam and cam target positions.

also the daylight system / sun position might not have exported properly, so i can give you the sun position.

store_room.jpg

MAX 2011 - max 2011

MAX 2010 - max 2010 (using 'save to max 2010' in max 2011)

FBX - using FBX exporter FBX 2011.3.1 for max design but saved in 2009 mode

OBJ - using gw-obj exporter

i reckon we start a new thread in the WIP section where everyone can post their work?

ta. should be fun. i hope the scene has enough for what we need - large open spaces to play with textures and notice subtle lighting, lots of occluding objects, and a good mix of small detailed objects and larger scale objects and open areas.

WIP thread here - http://forums.cgarchitect.com/63920-store-room-collaborative-lighting-project.html

Thanks for this idea. It will be a lot of fun to see all of the different approaches.

Quick question though... were there any agreed upon guidelines in terms of materials? I'd like to get started but don't want to use materials that will mute the point of this "competition".

Also, long time lurker, first time poster here. I guess this is a pretty good way to introduce myself...

Thanks for this idea. It will be a lot of fun to see all of the different approaches.

Quick question though... were there any agreed upon guidelines in terms of materials? I'd like to get started but don't want to use materials that will mute the point of this "competition".

Also, long time lurker, first time poster here. I guess this is a pretty good way to introduce myself...

welcome. there was nothing set in stone. i think the consensus was to keep it to fairly simple stone/concrete/wood though as the main focus is on lighting.

camera correction works by correcting verticals after you raise or lower the target which is the same in principal, but i've never been a fan of this method as i don't personally like using target cameras and having cams and targets at different heights all over the place.

my preferred method is to setup the view using a target camera, then change is to a free cam to get rid of the target (one less thing to accidentally move) and then use the skew modifier in direct 90 (up/down) and play with the amount. i find it gives me much more control compositionally..

To be clear, the intent of the competition is to evaluate different rendering engines? Or to get the best results possible with whatever software available? Meaning, are we to post just beauty renders right out of max, or is postwork and other touchups acceptable?

Also, since it's about "lighting"..... should we stipulate that there's no altering geometry that everything has to come from just lighting, texturing, and post production?

I think it was agreed that there is no post production and that the geometry should remain unchanged except to clean it up a bit...

everything else is from simple materials, like concrete, wood, etc... and your lighting set-up.

To be clear, the intent of the competition is to evaluate different rendering engines? Or to get the best results possible with whatever software available? Meaning, are we to post just beauty renders right out of max, or is postwork and other touchups acceptable?

it is definitely about getting the best lighting solution with whatever tools you have available. a side-show of that will undoubtedly be the comparison of various render engines, but the intent is definitely a discussion and critique on lighting setups and best practices.

regarding post work. i am of the opinion that there is no harm in doing post, provided people are prepared to also show their base render, so we can see a before and after.

I hate to sound like an idiot, but just so I'm clear, we are allowed to get rid of the current lighting rig and replace it with our own, correct?

if you can keep the position of the sunlight so that everybody is working from similar lighting conditions. you can change the skylight etc to suit.

Also, since it's about "lighting"..... should we stipulate that there's no altering geometry that everything has to come from just lighting, texturing, and post production?

yea, absolutely. clean up the models (as some are a bit messy) if necessary, but ultimately its about lighting, texturing and showing your additional post work.