'The Store Room' - Collaborative Lighting Project

mattclinch

ok, heres my first stab at it.

no post, straight out of the box.

How do you get so much variation in your concrete maps? I've always wondered this. Is it just an AO dirt map? Would appreciate any insight - great start!

BTW - Brian, hilarious.

ok, heres my first stab at it.

mental ray

daylight system only

GI + FG

20 minutes (@ 1024x1024)

draft_01.jpg

no post, straight out of the box.

Nice n smooth. Are we going to reveal settings here or shall we have a grand reveal at the end when we can compare lots of settings against lots of images?

want to get my foot in here too... I might get pretty busy in the next couple of days. I know it is a little much, but I had to take an hour yesterday and walk someone through uvw unwrapping and texturing so...

Using FG/ GI with 2 MR area lights and a spherical light in the lamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40726[/ATTACH]

You manage to get more detail out of mr than I have managed. Would like to get to know more about your Photons. Sounds like a pick up line, but trust me, it is not.

ok, here we go. this is my GI process.

firstly, i use a custom exposure curve in MR, with '4' vignette, white balance at 7200k aswell as custom raytrace refl, refr and max values, and FG refl, refr and max values. i'm also now using a skyportal as i actually found this gave me nicer skylight entry and reduced render times fractionally.

1. photon coverage test.

FG: off

GI: on

max num. photons per samples : 1

max sampling radius : off

merge nearby photons: off

optimize for FG : off

trace depths

max depth : 250

max reflect : 250

max refract : 30

av. photons per light : 10 mil

all objects generate gi : on

draft_02_p1.jpg

2. photon smoothing test - smooth them out slightly to see how the light levels look. same settings as before but "max num. photons per samples : 35"

draft_02_p2.jpg

Here's a quick first draft.

I'm also using this project as a way to understand the Sketchup -> Max workflow. So bear with me on the textures, etc.

Mental Ray with AO pass and slight volumetric lighting.

PS - Yes, that's a little UFO dude on the wall for good measure. :)

ok, here we go. this is my GI process.

firstly, i use a custom exposure curve in MR, with '4' vignette, white balance at 7200k aswell as custom raytrace refl, refr and max values, and FG refl, refr and max values. i'm also now using a skyportal as i actually found this gave me nicer skylight entry and reduced render times fractionally.

1. photon coverage test.

FG: off

GI: on

max num. photons per samples : 1

max sampling radius : off

merge nearby photons: off

optimize for FG : off

trace depths

max depth : 250

max reflect : 250

max refract : 30

av. photons per light : 10 mil

all objects generate gi : on

2. photon smoothing test - smooth them out slightly to see how the light levels look. same settings as before but "max num. photons per samples : 35"

I'm going to have to break back out a few of my mr projects and do some testing.

Second lighting study based on some of the concepts already posted in the thread. Still same base rig, though with light color adjustments, intensity of light adjustments, and area shadow adjustments. I am also remodeling a few of the elements in hopes that I will eventually be able to bring out more detail through the lighting.

EDIT:

Re-rendered because the GI was to low. It still isn't perfect, but better. Current GI + render time is 7 minutes 20 seconds.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy