Vray depth of field

stayinwonderland

If you are talking about the Vray Physical camera I too always get the same problem. It imitates physical and optical phenomena in such manner that you practically can't tweak it at all and can never be sure what effect it will produce. Of course, it is much easier with standard camera, since you can tweak DOF effect from Render menu to achieve more or less blurriness, noise and subdivision etc. I'm still on Vray 1.5 I wonder if they tried to solve this on 2.0...

Well, yeah, with standard camera it works ok: from render setup you can tune aparature and center bias (the higher the values the stronger blur), focal distance and subdivision (lower values-grainier result) to produce exact effect you need. I tried all the types of Vray cam. (still/video/movie) and it doesn't work with neither, you can only use native camera settings which are very limiting. This is very unfortunate since I doubt one can use Vray Sun/Sky with standard camera, so it's usable only in interior scenes or with different type of lighting.

This is very unfortunate since I doubt one can use Vray Sun/Sky with standard camera, so it's usable only in interior scenes or with different type of lighting.

Boris, you certainly can use them with 'vray exposure control' in environment (8) setup.

And such effects should be done in post for speed and control. You only spend little extra time for those additional render elements, but only once :)