Chamfer issue, need some help.

christifferdalkarls

Hi, I'm doing and following a tutorial created by Ben Tate on CGtuts. I can really recommend his other tutorials if you're green in 3Ds max like me.

I am currently working on "The Lantern" and have come to the video part 3 where he goes from having created a pattern from splines, tossed in a shell modifier and made ​​it into edi poly and then chamfering all edges outer. Here comes my problem. Instead of all the edges get a nice curve of 3cm, some polygons turns in the wrong direction. It is obviously I who are doing something seriously wrong because he does the same thing in the video.I have created it from scratch twice and getting stuck at the same step.

I enclose two screenprints from 3ds max. One before I put on the chamfer and a post and you will see for themselves how it will be? Forgive me for using the wrong terms, have not been using 3Ds max for more than half a year.

Grateful for any help!

// Christoffer Dalkarls

http://www.dalkarls.com

FelM1.jpg

FelM2.jpg

To me it looks like you have overlapping vertices on the problem areas. I would suggest before you do the chamfer do a select all (ctrl + a) and then do a weld with a very small tolerance. See if that fixes it....just be careful the weld doesn't weld vertices you don't want welded :-)

Regards

Will

Thanks William and Corey! I've tried your idea william and doing an extra weld but with not major changes. I even pumped the numbers up quite high with slight improvement. I havent tried your solution yet Corey but it I will try it out this very moment and post an update once it's done. It's something that I havent put into consideration and it sounds like it could work! Cheers for the help!

Edited by christifferdalkarls

There's all those extra edges along the sides that aren't on the fronts. If you select the extra edges and delete with... I think it's ctrl-backspace it will delete the edge AND the verts at the ends. Do some tests to make sure I'm right on that (I'm away from my real machine so I can't check my veracity).

If that doesn't work you can target weld the verts or maybe the edges.

That's wicked tedious though. You can select edges that have similar orientation, turn edge constraint on, and move them over to the location of good edges, then in verts do a select all, weld. Repeat for the next group of edges.

But I'm pretty sure there's a "delete this edge and the end verts" option which would be easiest.

Hi, I'm doing and following a tutorial created by Ben Tate on CGtuts. I can really recommend his other tutorials if you're green in 3Ds max like me.

I am currently working on "The Lantern" and have come to the video part 3 where he goes from having created a pattern from splines, tossed in a shell modifier and made ​​it into edi poly and then chamfering all edges outer.

Hello, i tried that tutorial some time ago and had issues with chamfering. First thing is to ask yourself, are all those cuts that are cut manually really necessary? Yes, face will be ngon, but chamfering turned out to be much cleaner without cutting it into all quads. And since none of the metal lantern parts will be bending there should be no problem (unless you're planing on exporting it to some other application).

Second solution is to not do the chamfers at all, if the lantern wont be seen in close-up. Both mental and vray have some rounded edges option.

Third, and possibly the best solution, is not to use extrude modifier on the spline, but bevel modifier. It has several levels with which you can create nice "chamfered" edges and than use symmetry modifier to create the other side.

This is what i eventually created, starting with that lantern:

http://dariorubilovic.deviantart.com/#/d4rw3zx