Where do you get REALLY FREE legal music for walkthroughs?

clubber2k

I have found about 5 threads disscussing music for walkthroughs but all relate to sites wehere in the end you pay 50-100$ per song.

when browsing free music on google you always get "Royalty-free" sites that arent free at all - royalty free, after paying, so thats not really free.

I have a few 500$ projects, I won't pay 200$ just for music thats nuts.

you can easily get free legal models, blocks, vector artwork, pixel artworks, fonts, styles, even stock free HD videos! just about anything! - how can I not find any free music for my walk througs?

there are probably tuns of bored artists that compose great tunes for fun somewhere on the web, where are they??

does anyone have a site with totaly legal free music and sounds that are longer then a 3 sec loop and are good for walkthough?

thanks!

HERE IS WHAT I FOUND THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO HELPED ON THIS THREAD:

http://www.danosongs.com/ - free commercial with credit

http://www.jewelbeat.com/ - cheap 0.99$ music for royalty free

Edited by clubber2k
just to help people find the answer for this topic

If the client wants music/voiceover, why wouldn't you charge them extra and pass the cost onto them? You're a visualizer, not a musician. They should be paying to licence the track and you should also be charging them for your time in finding a suitable track and doing the editing. If you do manage to find free music the choice is going to be pretty limited anyway I would think.

royalty free is not the same as free. In the music world, you can either pay up front for unlimited use (no royalty fee to the artist) or pay per use which is often referred to as a needle drop fee (includes a royalty fee to the artist).

if we were smart, we would have incorporated this fee structure into animation (pay per viewing).

I have been producing music since I was 15, long before I gained employment in 3D; so I compose & produce my own music if need be. Sometimes write music for other people too. Got a pretty sweet music set up/studio at home ;)

I make my own music also....it's just hard to find the time now.

If the client wants music/voiceover, why wouldn't you charge them extra and pass the cost onto them? You're a visualizer, not a musician. They should be paying to licence the track and you should also be charging them for your time in finding a suitable track and doing the editing. If you do manage to find free music the choice is going to be pretty limited anyway I would think.

HA! maybe abroad - here there isn't that much money - no one will agree to pay for it.

Here one I've used you just have to credit the artist

http://www.danosongs.com/

If anybody knows of any others I'd be interested too

10x dano is just awesome!

he also had a link on his site to a great 0.99cent per song site - including commercial use and online videos, great stuff:

http://www.jewelbeat.com/

I have been producing music since I was 15, long before I gained employment in 3D; so I compose & produce my own music if need be. Sometimes write music for other people too. Got a pretty sweet music set up/studio at home ;)

want to make some to me? :)

$500 animation with free music? You're getting walked all over, no matter what country you're in.

In Israel people don't make as much as in the us or eu. everything costs the same only 1 us $ is worth 4 local nis - in case you were woundering.. I hate it when everyone thinks money is the same anywhere. a freelance architect/3d artist (not a firm owner of course) makes around 20,000$ a year and between 500-1500$ per project. thats a fact thats hard to change.

its already almost impossible to pay 10k dollar on applications every time theres an important upgrade... software authors don't understand that just because a us architect can pay 4000$ for a bundle doesn't mean everyone can..

* had to vent that out..

----

anyway - thanks for those who did help - found what I needed!

If they can't pay for it, they should not be doing it. I want a ferrari but the dealer doesn't want to give me the car for free just because I don't have enough money to afford more than the tail light cover. You are devaluing your own product. Next time, suggest they can easily add the music to it themselves afterward if they are unable to compensate you for the effort. If they go through that once, they will pay you to do it every time afterward.

If you liked danosongs, you may want to check out http://musicbakery.com/ Their tracks are $30-$60 and while it's still rather bland production music, it's a step up from dano.

If they can't pay for it, they should not be doing it. I want a ferrari but the dealer doesn't want to give me the car for free just because I don't have enough money to afford more than the tail light cover. You are devaluing your own product. Next time, suggest they can easily add the music to it themselves afterward if they are unable to compensate you for the effort. If they go through that once, they will pay you to do it every time afterward.

If you liked danosongs, you may want to check out http://musicbakery.com/ Their tracks are $30-$60 and while it's still rather bland production music, it's a step up from dano.

60$ is still too much, and jewelbeat.com is awesome at 0.99$ a song, why even pay 60$ ?

I guess its nice to be a 40 year old american and patronizer other people from less fortunate or rich countries with out having to live a day in their shoes, as long as there is a line of other people willing to do this job for even 20% less then my price, I can't charge more - since 500$ is better then 0$.

Its a good thing I only do this as a side job. at the rate the competition grows, and 3d software becomes easier - there's no future in it for me anyway.

thanks for those who did help.

60$ is still too much, and jewelbeat.com is awesome at 0.99$ a song, why even pay 60$ ?

I guess its nice to be a 40 year old american and patronizer other people from less fortunate or rich countries with out having to live a day in their shoes, as long as there is a line of other people willing to do this job for even 20% less then my price, I can't charge more - since 500$ is better then 0$.

Its a good thing I only do this as a side job. at the rate the competition grows, and 3d software becomes easier - there's no future in it for me anyway.

thanks for those who did help.

Despite your pessimism, the advice from John is true. If you dont want to be a doormat then dont lie in front of the door. ALL countries have a level of local competition. The currency/standard of living differences are besides the point. If anything, the '40 year old American' renderer has increased competition due to outsourcing to countries with lower local fees. Walk in John's shoes.

Despite your pessimism, the advice from John is true. If you dont want to be a doormat then dont lie in front of the door. ALL countries have a level of local competition. The currency/standard of living differences are besides the point. If anything, the '40 year old American' renderer has increased competition due to outsourcing to countries with lower local fees. Walk in John's shoes.

Yes, your right about john's shoes :)

I feel that even compared to my country's already low local fees.

for Architecture jobs I charge about 25% more then average since thats where I really want to evolve..

Yes, your right about john's shoes :)

I feel that even compared to my country's already low local fees.

for Architecture jobs I charge about 25% more then average since thats where I really want to evolve..

Good for you. The only way to pull clients into paying what a service is worth is for vendors to charge what its worth. If someone can afford to build a building, then they probably have the resources to pay for a decent 3d image/animation if they need one.