Best 3ds Max Books for Architectural Vis?

unrinoceronte

Hi, can someone recommend the best "Current" books on 3ds Max directed for Architectural Visualization?

I use Max 2012, but if you think books on 2013 also apply and can help me, please let me know. I might upgrade someday. I use Vray with it, but my interest in this Thread is to find a book with emphasis on MAX features, modeling, commands, etc etc (Not mental Ray)

What do you think about the 3 books from 3DATS? (begginner to Intermediate, Intermediate to Advanced, Advanced to Expert)

Any other good recommendations?

There are good and varied techniques that the 3DATS books cover. I also have the "one project from start to finish" book and it is nice for the specific tools that it covers, and there are some general technique gems scattered in with it, but overall it is not as useful unless you have the third party tools that it covers.

I think you will get the most knowledge on MAX features and modeling from the first two books. The expert book goes really deep into some specific subjects, all good information, but not really tailored to what you seem to be looking for.

As a side note I had a 3ds MAX release 3 book written by Ted Boardman that was tattered and torn by the time I was done with it. Now that was a person that could teach Max through a book! Not sure how relevant that information would be today though since there are many new tools and methods available and/or integrated into Max that makes modeling buildings much more efficient.

Thanks Benjamin. And thanks also for the Ted Boardman recommendation, altough it seems that he has not made a new book in a while, i searched for him and quickly saw very good reviews about him.. I will search a little more and see if i can find something from him that can be usefull at this time.

I also saw the book from 3DATS that you mention, "one project from start to finish", but just from the cover it seemed that the scene was like a "hobbits" villa....I remember that when i saw that book published on their site, i wrote to them and asked if that was the scene that was used in all the book, and they told me it was, so i lost my interest in it inmediately.... But you mention it was good. Can you comment in what specifics from that book can be applied in an actual modern house or modern building CG visualization?

In the meantime i have found this other books that have very good reviews on Amazon, if anyone else is interested, or can comment on any of them? :

- Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2013: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118129717/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ITSK5NKQ4GHO&coliid=I2YZ42A4K4YMEP

- Autodesk 3ds Max 2013 Bible : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118328329/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ITSK5NKQ4GHO&coliid=IAJEW3L54A3W4

- 3ds Max Design Architectural Visualization: For Intermediate Users http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240821076/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ITSK5NKQ4GHO&coliid=I22VRB9HV32HOL I wonder if this last book is the same (maybe updated) book from the same author but publised a few years before by 3DATS ( 3ds Max 10 Architectural Visualization : Intermediate to Advanced by Brian L. Smith )

Edited by unrinoceronte

Can you comment in what specifics from that book can be applied in an actual modern house or modern building CG visualization?

The obvious high points would be landscape and scenery, Forest Pro is covered pretty well. I would put it behind the other books, but still good knowledge to have available.

• 8 months later...

- 3ds Max Design Architectural Visualization: For Intermediate Users http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240821076/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ITSK5NKQ4GHO&coliid=I22VRB9HV32HOL I wonder if this last book is the same (maybe updated) book from the same author but publised a few years before by 3DATS ( 3ds Max 10 Architectural Visualization : Intermediate to Advanced by Brian L. Smith )

Yes, this is an updated version! And these three books from 3DATS are all you need, in my opinion, for modelling and general rendering. Once you decide what render engine you want to use, you can go deeper with books for that specific render engine. The hobbit hole book is o.k. It utilizes a lot of plug-ins that need to be purchased, they ARE NOT tools in 3ds max.