Skyportal lighting issue

hoseinasadi

Hi,

i have a huge problem here, when illuminating the scene using skyportal vray lights , the reflected light on the ceiling and columns is somehow cut in half! as if some areas are being illuminated whereas some areas not. very confusing situation and im stock. also im using a 360 degree HDRI image in my environment mapslot. here's a picture of my scene, ive also attached 3ds max file to my scene so you could take a look at the settings :

interior_illumination.zip

illumination.jpg

Hi,

i have a huge problem here, when illuminating the scene using skyportal vray lights , the reflected light on the ceiling and columns is somehow cut in half! as if some areas are being illuminated whereas some areas not. very confusing situation and im stock. also im using a 360 degree HDRI image in my environment mapslot. here's a picture of my scene, ive also attached 3ds max file to my scene so you could take a look at the settings :

pls post missing files and print screen of vray settings if you can:

D:\3Ds Max\Resources\360 Degree sky\hdrmaps_com_free_051_half.hdr

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\Flooring\Wood\Black-Cherry-Estate.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\Flooring\Wood\Cherry\Specular.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\Flooring\Wood\Black-Cherry-Estate-bump.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Resources\HDRI 2013\free_001.hdr

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\splatter\SplatterColored0026_S.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\book\book.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\grapgiti\Graffiti0020_S.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\grapgiti\Graffiti0485_S.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\worn paint\ConcreteWornPaint0041_2_S-mask.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\worn paint\ConcreteWornPaint0041_2_S.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Resources\360 Degree sky\New folder\hdrmaps_com_free_052.exr

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\bricks\BrickRound0109_9_S.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\bricks\BrickRound0109_9_S-bump.jpg

D:\3Ds Max\Textures\grass-displacement.jpg

Edited by lucabassan

If anything, the issue is stemming from the HDRI you put in the environment slot and that is not included in the file. You have a window behind the camera that is likely letting the HDRI light in.

If I were you, I would go back to basics on this, if only to get things under foot. You have no glass in the windows. I would put a shelled plane there with some glass material so the light gets altered a bit on its way in. The portals will make sure there is no loss of direction or brightness. I would also un-tick vignette on your camera and use the default shutter and ISO settings for now. Go back to using a Vray Sun and Sky setup, and just reduce your sun intensity to something low: 0.35 or 0.40. Also, if you are going to use a Sphere light to simulate the sun, you need to tick on "no decay".

In your settings, you will do better to use a noise value of 0.01 not 0.1 and as you scene gets more complex you may want to up your Image Sampler Min/Max to 1/4 or greater. -1/2 won't cut it if you want to get a clean result.

I know this is more than you asked, but I think it will help going forward. Good luck.