Arch-Viz System Configuration (GPU) (Suffering from real bad time HELP!!!)

My First Forum On CGarchitech.com (Awesome Site It Is)

Currently, I Have A Good System But I'm Not Gettin' Satisfaction in 3Dsmax VRay...:(

Current System:

CPU: AMD Opteron 6212 (x2)

Motherboard: ASUS KGPE-D16 (Pretty BIG)

Memory : Kingston 8 GB (Nothing Special simple One)

HardDisk: WD 2 TB

Graphics Card : Quadro 600 (That's the Problem Maybe)

N Other Accessories

Problem: I am Not Getting Performance in 3dsmax (V-Ray), 3Dsmax is My Everything (Primary Software) , Im getting too low fps... :(

I Switched In Every Graphics Mode (Dx11, Open GL, Nitrous, etc.), But No Sucssess

Now I want to Upgrade this or build a New one System:

I Reserched & I am thinking of buying and QUADRO K4000 (3GB)......

Guys!!! ,... Do You Think It will solve My Problem???

And I am buying this from my emergency savings so pls Help Me..... I dont want to waste my money.....

Pls Suggest me what is Problem????

Thanx In ADVance

If viewport performance is no good then your graphics card is to blame. I am not familiar with the Quadro cards so let someone else chime in on if your card should work well or not. Either way I wouldn't spend $700+ on a graphics card just for viewport. A GTX770 2gb card should run the viewport fine for under $400.

Now, another limitation is the amount of ram you have. With almost any scene you will be maxing that out. Should probably upgrade to 16gb at least.

Rather than immediately think of spending money, the bigger question is when does your Max performance suffer? Are you seeing slow down just moving around a simple scene of boxes or a massive site with thousands of geometry trees in your display?

If you are not working in an optimized way, you can string 10 titans together and still get a lousy view port performance.

Thanx !!!

Jason, You have a point I am increasing my Ram to 16 GB & I got the Overview about GTX770 2GB Card, Thats Good!!....

Sorry But I want to ask you that Are You sure if I will get this then I wont get Trouble..?? If you Have That Card & wont have any problem then I can send you My scene to you For CHeck?!! :p:)

I don't think that upgrading the RAM will increase the FPS but you could clarify if the RAM size is slowing down your work by checking the RAM usage (taskmanager).

8GB is really not much especially for a 2 CPU system. I think i could not work with it today - i can easily max out my 32GB.

But i don't think upgrading this old opteron system would be the best solution... these two opterons are slower than one i7 3770 or 4770 (quadcores) for rendering. And the single thread performance at 3.2GHz turbo is even worse...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+6212&id=1905&cpuCount=2

Regarding viewport performance i would also say go for a GTX 760 or 770. I haven't seen any real comparison of geforce vs quadro in max 2014 or 2015, but it seems that the gaming cards work quite well with nitrous. But again, your slow CPUs will limit the GPU performance.

If you plan to use GPU rendering you should buy a card with 3 or 4GB.

And you should get a SSD ;)

I have a EVGA GTX770 SC 4gb (I also game on the side) and it runs the viewport flawlessly with several million polys. I would say that it works just fine. The great thing is that if you do these upgrades and decide that your workstation is still not as fast as you want you could do a new build and reuse the graphics card and memory so its not really a risk. One way or the other you will be able to use it. It not like buying another pair of CPUs to put in your mobo and then realizing you want to switch to a different socket and having a bunch of useless stuff sitting around.

from their v-ray RT benchmark (v2):

2x GTX580 3GB = 1m 28s

1x GTX 690 4GB = 1m 31s

1x GTX Titan 6GB = 1m 46s

1x GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB = 1m 56s

1x GTX 780 3GB = 2m 5s

1x GTX580 3GB = 2m 44s

1x GTX680 2GB = 3m 03s

1x GTX670 4GB = 3m 07s

1x GTX570 1.26GB = 3min12s

1x GTX470 1.26GB = 3min57s

1x GTX560Ti 1GB = 4min50s

1x GTX460 1GB : 6min40s

the GTX770 is basically a relabled and optimized GTX680 (higher clockrates) so it should be slightly faster than a GTX680.

The GTX780 is only available with 3GB or 6GB. I think i would go for a 770 4GB or 780 6GB, where the 780 is ~50% more expensive but also around 50% faster and with 50% more RAM. So almost linear concering price/performance - if you really want to dive into GPU rendering, maybe the 780 6GB would be the better option - if you want to invest that money.

Edited by numerobis

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-384-Bit-Graphics-06G-P4-3787-KR/dp/B00K699CRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403390808&sr=1-1&keywords=GTX780+6GB

Mostly I am seeing everywhere GTX780 With 3GB, And This is the one I found in 6GB Is this correct??? Are You Talking about?? Or I m thinking that I should go with 3 GB???!!!

Edited by dhaivatsoni

Unless you plan to use Vray RT (you have made no mention of doing so)

And Can anybody say how GTX770 Or GTX780 works with VRay RT???

without vray RT i would also say GTX760/770... maybe with 4GB.

Edited by numerobis

without vray RT i would also say GTX760/770... maybe with 4GB.

Ahh, must have missed that. In the OP he just said viewport performance was bad. With RT you really just need as much memory as possible but you are going to sped big $$$$ to get something useable at this point. When graphics cards are able to access system memory then I think "real time" GPU renderers will start making a lot more sense.

• 7 years later...

First of all, when speaking of intentional hardware selection for arch-viz, in theory, selecting software should always precede selecting hardware. This is because different arch-viz software may work entirely differently behind the scenes.

This source might help you for selecting best system for arch-viz. 

https://www.laptopstudies.com/best-laptops-for-civil-engineering-students/