Alternatives to photorealistic visualisation styles

Has anyone come across some interesting and impressive alternatives to photorealistic architectural visualisation?

Perhaps something which is a bit more sketchy, not fully textured etc.

The industry seems to be dominated by the more photorealistic fully-textured image.

D.

Ok thanks - I'll take a look.

I normally try to achieve photo-realism in my images, but I have a new potential client who is keen to produce something that is not so 'polished' and is more in keeping with their way of working, which is through sketches and card models etc.

I have a new potential client who is keen to produce something that is not so 'polished' and is more in keeping with their way of working, which is through sketches and card models etc.

How broad is your imagination and creativity.... if we're going to call ourselves "3D Artists" then give them some art!

The possibilities are absolutely endless from hand sketching and colouring (sketch over your model if you have to) through to programmes like Piranese. Heck even Photoshop has a million different ways to add an artistic twist. All that's required is a bit of imagination.... but don't forget to keep the client happy, perhaps avoid dada, cubisim, surrealism !

I think what you should be searching for are Competition Renderings. Luxigon is one of te best out there for this typology: http://www.luxigon.fr/

As others have said, anything is possible, but the end goal should always be the story that the image is attempting to tell. Style is just an overlay. The reason behind the photo-real trend, I think, is that client and consumer imagination is small and un-built architecture is hard to imagine. Photo-realism helps their comprehension of the space and simply sells better. BUT. There is a place and time for every style.

Many thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

Chris: I will look into Fotosketcher. I used to use Sketchup a lot, but I found that even with its myriad of output styles, it is tricky to escape that 'sketchup' aesthetic.

George: Those MLK Library visuals are very interesting, and quite refreshingly different.

Clive: You're absolutely right of course, being a visual artist involves far more than simply producing photo-real renderings.

Simon: Thanks - these links are great starting points!

Yama: Your project is great - thanks a lot for the inspiration!

Corey: Again, what you say is true. I am a fan of Luxigon - the images they produce are always more suggestive and evocative than definitive, which I think is the direction we should be heading in.

Thanks again!

D.