Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Colour differences between different programs. Help needed.

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

Default Re: Colour differences between different programs. Help needed.

No i've only just got the new monitor, hence why I've only just spotted the difference today.

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Ok, those Photoshop settings look ok, so get the display profiled and report back with screenshots tomorrow. Really want to see how well this works now. I fought for most of my career for these settings to be implemented, so glad they are finally here. Sadly I left production long ago.

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

It drives me mad too, I'm hoping to implement these settings studio wide too. My images look different on every single monitor in the studio at the minute. So god knows how it looks when the client opens it

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mottle View Post

Other things to consider by going back to an sRGB workflow is that your clients have all likely moved to wide gamut displays (they don't make any other kind now), so if they view your sRGB image on their wide gamut display it's going to be very saturated. They also are unlikely to have sRGB presents on their display.
    This statement seems odd. Widegamut displays are in my opinion still huge minority on the market, only small subset of IPS/IGZO panels have widegamut (only those with GB-LED as opposed to white-led backlit or older ccfl)

I use widegamut display (Dell3014) is sRGB emulation all the time, it's nearly perfect these days. Doing otherwise would be pain in ass, all my clients watch images either on calculators or "semi-highend" displays like Apple Cinema, which are again just regular white-led IPS panels with sRGB only option.

Even in sRGB mode, working with 3dsMax is painful regarding color management, as there are so many steps where a shift does/can offer (though only seemingly), from linearizing the texture internally by engine, to framebuffer, than opening it again in post. I do save my textures without color profile (by default they will be read as sRGB nonetheless by most engines but it again depends, Vray uses sRGB spectrum, but many others, including Corona, use wide gamut (not AdobeRGB directly), while others are spectral and will do their own conversion).

But then I maintain full sRGB pipeline all the way, down to saving it into final images for client. I do give them separately 16bit tiffs without color profile if they intend to print it in serious fashion, but most images these days go only to internet, and 99perc. of users (or content viewers) have sRGB (and badly calibrated at that), so I have my public in mind with that.

Vray framebuffer does read LUTs and ICCs (it's super hidden as drop-down menu under sRGB button...), but I've learned to live with the fact that what matters is what I'll open in Photoshop/AE so I rarely use it.
    Last edited by RyderSK; October 29th, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
    fco3d likes this.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by RyderSK View Post
    This statement seems odd. Widegamut displays are in my opinion still huge minority on the market, only small subset of IPS/IGZO panels have widegamut (only those with GB-LED as opposed to white-led backlit or older ccfl)

I use widegamut display (Dell3014) is sRGB emulation all the time, it's nearly perfect these days. Doing otherwise would be pain in ass, all my clients watch images either on calculators or "semi-highend" displays like Apple Cinema, which are again just regular white-led IPS panels with sRGB only option.
    All depends what your clients have. Even cheap displays can have wide gamut and the Apple Cinema displays have a gamut that is slightly larger than sRGB so it could potentially affect color depending on the image. And any displays I've see that are wide gamut, do not default to sRGB if they even had that option.

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

What are the cheap displays with support of AdobeRGB ? Even in CCFL era (which is now almost gone), only small part of professional grade displays supported it. But since you need GB-LED backlight which only few expensive panels have right now, you physically can't support wide gamut, so vast majority of display don't have it.

Apple Cinema (27) is very regular LM270WQ1 panel from LG, same as Dell2711, it even uses the same white-led backlight. Not even the sRGB coverage is great, but still good. The old Apple Cinema 30" was ccfl, so naturally it had better sRGB coverage (maybe slightly more,yes), but it still wasn't wide gamut ccfl. Both are very outdated by now though.

Hardware sRGB emulation used to be quite poor, but based on recent TFT reviews, it's now literally the same thing.

I feel like you might be over-estimating the amount of people with high-end displays like Eizo/Nec (or the top upper range from regular brands like Dell and HP), I feel like they are small minority even among architects (you might just mingle among far too professional community :- )..] Most people not directly involved with graphics, will buy rather stylish media panels even when going to spend lot of money, like the new 5k LG panels in Dell and Apple, or the new 21:9 3.5k panels, etc.. with gimmicks like improved latency, high-frequency panels. High-end wide-gamut panels will stay sharp minority for next 5 years at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by RyderSK; October 29th, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

Quick question. Where can I find out which profile my monitor is currently using? I've just calibrated, but I think I may have just altered something in the monitors in-built menu system. I just want to check it's still reading the new profile.

Name
    Dave Buckley
    Forum Username
    Dave Buckley

United Kingdom

Also just to let you know, the Max Image viewer and the texture in Photoshop (Adobe RGB) are now pretty close in terms of colour now.

If I then load the texture through the ICC node, it still goes really dark (see screenshot - image in PS is Adboe RGB - Image on the left in Max, is the same texture being viewed through the ICC node with Adboe RGB profile loaded) so I'm not sure I actually need that ICC node as I'm not too sure what it's doing and whether it's working properly.
    Attached Images

Name
    Stephen Thomas
    Forum Username
    stef.thomas

United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buckley View Post
    Quick question. Where can I find out which profile my monitor is currently using? I've just calibrated, but I think I may have just altered something in the monitors in-built menu system. I just want to check it's still reading the new profile.
    Control Panel>Color Management should show you what the default profile is.

Name
    Juraj Talcik
    Forum Username
    RyderSK

Slovakia

Hi Dave,

Control panel will show you what Windows is using. Did you calibrate your HP using DreamColor Solution and created custom color space ? Or did you just adjust existing regime ?

Anyway, Vray ICC with load the full ICC profile, that is also gamma. You already load your bitmap with gamma (2.2), but that the ICC will also.
    I tried super quickly to load texture linearly (gamma override 1.0) and everything looked correct then. Or you can just convert all bitmaps to VrayHDRi maps and then use script to adjust gamma for all of them and input them into ICC.

But unless you're correcting all textures by yourself this seems like quite redundant workflow.
    talcikdemovicova.com

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information