Vray 3 SP1 update

adrianbartosiak

Looks amazing. Usually I get let down looking at the new features because it's stuff I wouldn't ever use but the GGX BRDF looks amazing (and it's going to make Grant Warwick ecstatic - he mentions the lack of it over and over again in his lessons). That along with the VFB improvements and the 2sidedmaterial improvements are enough alone to make it a huge release.

Still no MultiSubTex viewport preview which is annoying.

I'm still using Vray 2.4, how much better is 3, is it work $9K to upgrade?

From a pure speed perspective, 3 is for sure the way to go. Vray 3 has been speed up to where using brute force in 3 will result in similar times to IR+LC in Vray 2. (http://forums.cgarchitect.com/75578-has-anyone-done-write-up-their-vray-3-experience-2.html#post387725)

Not to mention progressive rendering and the awesome, yet initially confusing, min shading rate.

Not to mention Embree. It's upwards of a 30% speed increase. I have a mixed farm with Intel and AMDs but there doesn't seem to be any negative effect from the AMD's - I think they just ignore it.

Scott - what's your take on the min shading rate? I've done about a hundred tests and it still gives me unpredictable results. Boosting it can sometimes create a cleaner lighting pass but the noise in the reflections is sometimes increased. For me, it seems that using a value of 4 is the sweet spot. It can also reduce the render times substantially since the AA engine isn't having to work as hard.

For me personally, so take it on face value, I only use min shading rate when dealing with progressive rendering which is pretty much my go to rendering method these days. I've found that a value of 8 works for pretty much everything I've thrown at it, and for those odd cases, a value of 6 tends to work just as well. I keep everything at the default value of 8 subdivs (lights, materials, GI, etc) when making my scene, just as an fyi.

Boosting it can sometimes create a cleaner lighting pass but the noise in the reflections is sometimes increased. For me, it seems that using a value of 4 is the sweet spot.

I keep it on 8 and use the clr threshold value to control noise. For me the less variables the better. Psychologically, it's very liberating not to have to dread dealing with a plethora of subdivision sources.

My friends say I seem calmer, less irritable, and the twitch in my left eye is almost completely gone.

Edited by heni30