Render for my Portfolio

1429577205.jpg

Studio/Institution: Fringo Rendering
Client: My self
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3DS Max, Vray & Photoshop
Description:

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum and I am glad I found this place, I have learnt a lot from just reading peoples comments from here. I am very new in this business, started in October with Archicad for some projects, and have now gone over to 3DS Max and Vray since February.

I would like to get some critique for my last piece that I have spent the last days with. What would you do to make it more realistic and more aesthetic pleasant? What objects do you think could be redone or excluded/added?

Grateful for all kind of comments!

Thanks in advance!

The tonality looks good but get rid of all that yellow crap in the cubbyholes. And it's right in the middle of the image.

Keep it simple - there are a lot of miscellaneous knick knacks that are just aimlessly floating around.

You need to get a more professional logo for your website! Just looking at that purple freehand drawn logo/title is going to keep people from taking you seriously.

Edited by heni30

Hey, thanks georgo for the critique! I forgot to tell that the image is based on a photo from a company that does interiors for homes in Sweden, so I imitated the picture, just to show the skills of 3D modelling, im not the interior designer of this piece! Im more wondering if there are some shaders/materials/lights that doesnt look realistic.

Im on my way to create the Logo, this is the first idea that I had, I will make ot look more like a logo.

More critiques are welcome!

If you see it overall it is really good work. I like it. But I have some tips for you to improve on subtle things but they do catch your eye when you are looking in detail at the image.

1. Texture Stretching (UV Problem) for the couch bottom left.

2. Furry Carpet shading problem or something about it looks off like it just doesn't work for me.

3. Wires and Strings just don't come right out of the ceiling they have a fixture.

4. Glass partition - Shelves also have fixtures to hold the glass where it is, they are not fused with the vertical glass.

5. Light bulbs look like water droplets - Use shell Modifier to give it thickness - Put a sphereical light or a bulb model inside it to have like a solid light feel not just a glow in Photoshop.

6. The lamb leg and the objects on the glass shelf have ambient lighting. Try to keep everything lit from natural or light sources.

Those were technical comments now for design suggestions,

1. Fridge/Cabinet in the back try brushed metal feel to the handle would make it look way more better.

2. As a personal opinion I would prefer if there would be counter-space towards the back. Keeping all the stove, oven, dishwasher and other items related there. Instead of a dead cabinet space.

3. I like the overall industrial contemporary look to the space. I like the use of black and white more often used in the room as it really brings out a theme. But I really don't like the way the sudden Wooden counter top on a mostly black and white theme.

4. I like the way you have broken the monotonous feel by adding the yellow slot in bookcase which is really nice touch but I think instead of a light yellow, it would like nicer if it was lemon yellow.

5. Do you want the bookcase to be a modular furniture piece like should it be able to be pulled out, if so then you need to give some slots to the boxes for ease of use.

6. The area behind the glass partition is a total waste of space at the moment.

A simple suggestion try to think on every piece of items that you have placed in your scene as to when required or in a day to day use would this item be there in that spot. You will realize that do you really need a Lamb leg hanging in the middle of the dinning area? I would personally store it in a deepfreeze storage.

First of all, thanks a lot for all the pointers siddharthkolte! Those are very valuable for me to push the quality of the image! I will definitely change the things you have pointed out and re-render to show the result.

It is funny how I somewhere in the progress forget to fix some of the issues that you pointed out, because when you say it is so obvious! But I guess sometimes you get blind on your own work, and need to get other opinions, so thanks a lot again.

1. Texture Stretching (UV Problem) for the couch bottom left. - Will fix that!

2. Furry Carpet shading problem or something about it looks off like it just doesn't work for me. - Probably issue with the size of the "fur"!

3. Wires and Strings just don't come right out of the ceiling they have a fixture. - Will ad that!

4. Glass partition - Shelves also have fixtures to hold the glass where it is, they are not fused with the vertical glass. - It actually has, but they are very reflective, so its hard to see on the render, but I will make them a little bit bigger as well.

5. Light bulbs look like water droplets - Use shell Modifier to give it thickness - Put a sphereical light or a bulb model inside it to have like a solid light feel not just a glow in Photoshop. - I Have tried to get this result, but the glass just burned out, as it is, I will try your method and hope it works!

6. The lamb leg and the objects on the glass shelf have ambient lighting. Try to keep everything lit from natural or light sources. - Thanks a lot, that was the result of having a hidden lamp, but still have the render setup to render hidden lamps. I tried create spotlight there in the beginning.

1. Fridge/Cabinet in the back try brushed metal feel to the handle would make it look way more better. - I will still keep the wooden handle, since I like it and its how the original looks like.

2. As a personal opinion I would prefer if there would be counter-space towards the back. Keeping all the stove, oven, dishwasher and other items related there. Instead of a dead cabinet space. I think that the designer of this kitchen wanted to create a unique look with the shapes, such as the roof which in this case also in my opinion is unnecessary, but rather a design element.

3. I like the overall industrial contemporary look to the space. I like the use of black and white more often used in the room as it really brings out a theme. But I really don't like the way the sudden Wooden counter top on a mostly black and white theme. - Good point, I will redo the kitchen table to make it more interesting, in some kind of wood to match better as well.

4. I like the way you have broken the monotonous feel by adding the yellow slot in bookcase which is really nice touch but I think instead of a light yellow, it would like nicer if it was lemon yellow. - I have actually tried that, but the books turned out to green, and even though I know you can turn of the color bleed, I prefer the yellow color and its reflections actually.

5. Do you want the bookcase to be a modular furniture piece like should it be able to be pulled out, if so then you need to give some slots to the boxes for ease of use. - Will fix that!

6. The area behind the glass partition is a total waste of space at the moment. I agree, I will look into that.

A simple suggestion try to think on every piece of items that you have placed in your scene as to when required or in a day to day use would this item be there in that spot. You will realize that do you really need a Lamb leg hanging in the middle of the dinning area? I would personally store it in a deepfreeze storage. - Hahaha I hear you, it is actually a smoked leg of a pig, I would love to have that at home if I could afford :)

marcellabbe - I agree, I will try to create the lighting from the bulbs better, I am not sure how to make that look good though, but I will try! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks a lot,

If you see it overall it is really good work. I like it. But I have some tips for you to improve on subtle things but they do catch your eye when you are looking in detail at the image.

1. Texture Stretching (UV Problem) for the couch bottom left.

2. Furry Carpet shading problem or something about it looks off like it just doesn't work for me.

3. Wires and Strings just don't come right out of the ceiling they have a fixture.

4. Glass partition - Shelves also have fixtures to hold the glass where it is, they are not fused with the vertical glass.

5. Light bulbs look like water droplets - Use shell Modifier to give it thickness - Put a sphereical light or a bulb model inside it to have like a solid light feel not just a glow in Photoshop.

6. The lamb leg and the objects on the glass shelf have ambient lighting. Try to keep everything lit from natural or light sources.

1. Fridge/Cabinet in the back try brushed metal feel to the handle would make it look way more better.

2. As a personal opinion I would prefer if there would be counter-space towards the back. Keeping all the stove, oven, dishwasher and other items related there. Instead of a dead cabinet space.

3. I like the overall industrial contemporary look to the space. I like the use of black and white more often used in the room as it really brings out a theme. But I really don't like the way the sudden Wooden counter top on a mostly black and white theme.

4. I like the way you have broken the monotonous feel by adding the yellow slot in bookcase which is really nice touch but I think instead of a light yellow, it would like nicer if it was lemon yellow.

5. Do you want the bookcase to be a modular furniture piece like should it be able to be pulled out, if so then you need to give some slots to the boxes for ease of use.

6. The area behind the glass partition is a total waste of space at the moment.

A simple suggestion try to think on every piece of items that you have placed in your scene as to when required or in a day to day use would this item be there in that spot. You will realize that do you really need a Lamb leg hanging in the middle of the dinning area? I would personally store it in a deepfreeze storage.

Thanks a lot for all these great tips! I will look into everyone of them and create a better image!

I have tried to get those lights into the actual bulbs, but the glass just turns white. Since I did not model the lamps my self, just saw that the glas material is solid, so I hope that is the problem! The ligth on the lamb leg was accidental, since The lights where on a hidden layer, and the renderer was set up to render hidden lights, so thanks for noticing, I think the next render will be much faster without those lights as well.

I will start work on it now, and re-render to show the result soon. Thanks alot for all the help siddharthkolte!!!

I apologize for answering so late, but I have tried a numerous times now to post an answer, and it just doesn't show up. It is very frustrating rewriting answers for all the questions all the time.

Anyways thanks a lot for the pointers, It helped me a lot to make it more realistic! Unfortunately I can't upload the result, I do not understand what I am doing wrong here. Might be the browser that is causing it, but I have tried with Mozilla as well. I hope that I will be able to use the forum in the future.