3ds max only using 15% of cpu

hi guys

i recenly upgraded to windows 10 and since (im assuming) i have been having trouble with 3ds max 2015-2016 only using 14%-15% of my cpu's, so when it reaches that mark it hangs and stops responding also the file takes about 10 mins to save.

i really have tried everything i can think of and im abit stuck now :(

if any one has any ideas ?

scene details : lots of rayfire objects baked out and 4 pflow systems. so its quite a heavy scene but seemed to be fine before

system spec is

32 gig dominator platinum

titan x

i7 3770k

win 10

thanks

scott

error.jpg

Edited by scottghgh

Thanks John

yeah it seems other files are fine. i dont realy have anything as heavy as this in terms of pflow scenes but....

i will have a look at bottlenecking and see whats what. im not a techy im a artist so i will have see excalty what that is and how to fix it :).

thanks for pointing me in a new direction John

Most operations in 3ds max are still single core - so no matter how many CPUs you have it will only use 10% of the CPU. These are the things I know of that only use 1 CPU....

Pflow (mentioned already) - considering you have baked this out this is not your issue....

Saving a scene

Loading a scene

Running a .ms script

Most edit poly functions (connect, detatch etc)

Most animation and customize tools

Come to think of it you could probably make a smaller list of things in 3ds max which ARE multithreaded lol...

Rendering

Itoo Plugins

Rayfire (using GPU)

Most 3rd party plugins these days

Feel free to add to this list of things you know which are multithreaded

the file is just unworkable freezing everytime it reaches 15% cpu

so what are we syaing here, new processors are needed if i want more power or ?

@james no the pflow is not baked out, just the rayfire geo. everytime i do a cache or disk cache it hangs as well so..............STUCK:(

I wonder what related to Windows 10 is contributing to the decreased performance?

Graphics driver compatibility perhaps? You may need to contact nvidia and wait until an updated Titan driver set is available before trying it again. Not sure what the likelihood of the graphics driver affecting the load/save time though :/