Thread: How to deal with small detail in cutout trees

Name
    Janis Aufmanis
    Forum Username
    janisaufmanis

Latvia

Default How to deal with small detail in cutout trees

Hey,

I am working on a personal project and I am trying to position my render jpeg into the photography image from the place.

The problem is, the background image is small and low quality (3552x2000), and there are unique trees that I feel like keeping, rather that replacing with other available cutout trees. I cut out the trees, tried creating a mask by using exposure settings and levels. Since the original jpeg is small, all the tiny branches and details are lost and I don't know how to deal with this. Please, any suggestions welcome.
    Also, I don't feel confident about the correct blending options etc. because, tre trunks aren't placed and blended properly as well. I could improve that slightly, but what would be the smartest way to do this?

Please excuse the low quality of the image. I've attached the photo and the photoshoped image.
    Attached Images

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

Default Re: How to deal with small detail in cutout trees

Working with low pixels images is a pain, and there is no magic solution really. That's why when I get a similar project and Always tell my client, that he/she needs to get high quality images or I can take the photos if I live close enough, otherwise they are warned the final output won't be perfect.
    Having said that, you should look online for tutorial on photoshop how to deal with hair or creating mask, because there is many ways to cut out images and keeping the maximum of them, The last iterations of Photoshop has very good tools to help you with this.
    For instance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJHHwytbnlI
    don't know this guy, never seen his tutorials, I just google some keyword about masking hair in Photoshop and this came up, pretty much what I do also.
    best luck
    powerelizabeth likes this.
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    Janis Aufmanis
    Forum Username
    janisaufmanis

Latvia

Thanks, Francisco! The Tutorial will help, because I was using stone age methods comparing to that. However, I had been taught such method in school few years ago, but back then I was not paying attention, so here I am

I might have another question, but I will give it a try
    Or maybe, if you have any advice right away, bring it on. So the branches and detail is also present on darker backgrounds of the image. So, how do I make a contrast over these areas in order to select the hair (or branches) in this case?In the attached photo the red color represents the problem are where I have to cut out the detail, but the background is dark.

Thanks.
    Attached Images

Veteran Member

Name
    Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username
    fco3d

United States

well most selection tool are pixel base, so if you don't have enough color contras between your image and the background it will be very hard to make an automatic selection.
    One way could be to duplicate your image and ajusting the RGB levels until you get enough contrast to make your selector to work.
    other way could be using separated channels to do selections. like this tutorial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VbaqBgz9Xc

http://www.bwvision.com/selections-part-2-channels/
    At the end sometimes manual selection may be faster, just add a black selection layer and "paint "(with white) your selection manually.
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

Name
    powe relizabeth
    Forum Username
    powerelizabeth

Nice Stuff. You can check Photoshop train channel. I learn many thing on it

Name
    Jesper Pedersen
    Forum Username
    jesper54321

Ireland

We do a quick test to remove the "gaps" in winter trees using the magic wand tool. If that doesnt work, we almost always opt to completely replace the crown of the tree (ie delete the existing and replace it with as similar as possible a hig res winter tree from our library (scaled and adjusted to match lighting/tone). This requires that you have a good library of high resolution photos of winter trees, which are carefully masked to remove the gaps (usually sky). This photoshop masking only needs to be done once and it might be worth keeping two versions (layers) with more/less feathering on the selection as for some scenes a light edge can be good (eg where the 3d model layer behind is also fairly bright).

Hope this helps ...and is not too obvious

Jesper Pedersen
    www.pedersenfocus.ie
    digitalputty likes this.
    Jesper Pedersen, Pedersen Focus Ltd.
    www.pedersenfocus.ie

Junior Member dvdarchitecturerenderings's Avatar

Name
    Damian Donze
    Forum Username
    dvdarchitecturerenderings

Switzerland

After cutting out the trees with the "Wand" tool or "Color Selection" and improving the resulting mask with "Refine Mask" I often play with the highlights/shadows to bring the the white silhouette to the same brightness as the background. It`s kind of cheating, but you would be surprised how well it works.

Good Luck
    -Damian
    www.dvdarch.ch

Name
    H A
    Forum Username
    henrikaskanius

Denmark

I've been using the "blend if" option in layer styles a lot recently. I copy the trees from the background layer on top of my visualisation and use the blend if grey option. By alt clicking the sliders you can separate them and set a smooth blending. Especially when the trees are as dark as on your example it works really nicely.

Name
    H A
    Forum Username
    henrikaskanius

Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by henrikaskanius View Post
    I've been using the "blend if" option in layer styles a lot recently. I copy the trees from the background layer on top of my visualisation and use the blend if grey option. By alt clicking the sliders you can separate them and set a smooth blending. Especially when the trees are as dark as on your example it works really nicely.
    And often I use a layer mask to edit the last small details on the top layer.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information