+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does Vray rendering process use: GPU or CPU

Russ Fogg
    Forum Username

United Kingdom

Default What does Vray rendering process use: GPU or CPU

I'm building a PC which will use Vray as a plugin to Rhino to render still images.

I would like to know if I should spend my money on the CPU or the GPU for the fastest rendering times.

Any recommendations welcome, but I mainly need to know if the rendering process is carried out by the CPU or GPU (or both).

Franziska von Fragenfeld
    Forum Username

Default Re: What does Vray rendering process use: GPU or CPU

Vray 3.6 can use either one and even use them in parallel via CUDA.
    Still I am myself not sure if I should first upgrade the CPU or GPU under these circumstances. I lean towards the GPU as the card I am considering Quadro M5000 can live with my existing power and cooling systems of the HP Z800.

Veteran Member

Francisco Penaloza
    Forum Username

United States

Default Re: What does Vray rendering process use: GPU or CPU

Everything is very well explained in the help doc of VRay.
    VRay originally was created to work with CPU, and still, all properties and effect will work with the CPU.
    lately, with all the GPU frenzy, VRay implemented a GPU version. From the beginning, this version had some limitation, and as up today, still have some limitations but it is mostly compatible with everything VRay, Shaders, Lights etc.

Now what you need to learn is that no matter what the video card manufacturer sell you, there is one basic physic constant. MEMORY, no matter how fancy your video card is, if it does not have enough memory for your scene, it won't work!

There are some works around and VRay uses some of them when you use both methods, CPU+GPU, but in those case, it is just better to go with CPU because GPU is not supporting much.

Now depending on what type of visualization you do, 8 or 16 Gb of memory may be OK.
    If you do variate visualization and large projects, you only need to look for CPU.

GPU rendering is more popular on Motion graphics and similar because the way project assets are managed, in Architectural Viz, CPU still a solid foundation with no limits, well depending on how many cores you can get, share or rent.
    "It is good to renew one's wonder"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information