The future of architectural visualization artist

orenvfx

hello all

im a 3d archviz artist. i do 3d architectual visualization for my livinng and its big love for me and i do it well and good.

I want to share with you concern and uncertainty about the continuation of my profession.

im working on 3dsmax and vray. post work on photoshop as many.

In recent years, many softwares are starting to come out like "lumion" that provide or at least try to give an answer to produce realistic simulations architect without to know all the Knowledge theat we as a 3d artist learn for years...

my point is do you think that architects are going to put us in a corner and stop using our services Due to the improving technology? again like lumion or revit render

Or the second option that say " professional artist that good in his job always gonna need him ant thats it"

I learned the art of 3d visualization and its part of my life so you can understand why im worry like this.

I will conclude with the words of the architect that recently say to me : "soon i be able to do all my work and sell also the 3d visuallization by myself with new software and finaly stop pay to 3d artist..." lumion... revit render engine... skp render...

what do you think?

Previously I would have replied whether it's 'that' time of year again.

Though, I think far more relevant now, is to ask, whether it's 'that' time of month again.

On related note, I suggest to watch this years GDC talks regarding 'automatization', it's brutally fascinating. If anyone was ever more afraid of loosing 'jerbs to machines/simplified and more approachable tools/NedFlanders/etc.. than archviz artists, it's game artists.

Outside of irrational attitudes, everyone asks the incorrect question anyway. The last thing any successful client worthy of having (architect, developer, whoever) wants, is to replace your PC monkey job. Tools change, that one axiom will never change. It's more agile competition that will adapt better that will take your job.

The video:

Previously I would have replied whether it's 'that' time of year again.

Though, I think far more relevant now, is to ask, whether it's 'that' time of month again.

On related note, I suggest to watch this years GDC talks regarding 'automatization', it's brutally fascinating. If anyone was ever more afraid of loosing 'jerbs to machines/simplified and more approachable tools/NedFlanders/etc.. than archviz artists, it's game artists.

Outside of irrational attitudes, everyone asks the incorrect question anyway. The last thing any successful client worthy of having (architect, developer, whoever) wants, is to replace your PC monkey job. Tools change, that one axiom will never change. It's more agile competition that will adapt better that will take your job.

The video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik

Lol, great video, yes it's that time of month. Instead of worrying about losing your job, rather focus on making yourself invaluable with the skills & talents you offer. If you think the skills you offer are 3dmax + Vray + post.. Well then you might have a problem, those are tools not skills. Great artists & visualizers always have a place in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like my answer then stop listening to what architects say about how technology will change and replace you job, it's always changing and always will, this is causing you to lose focus on your goals. Rather Focus on what you do well & have a strategic plan, evolve your offering then add value to your target market. That's not visualisation that's business it's ever changing. Good luck out there, don't lose hope we all work in the best industry in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will conclude with the words of the architect that recently say to me : "soon i be able to do all my work and sell also the 3d visuallization by myself with new software and finaly stop pay to 3d artist..." lumion... revit render engine... skp render...

what do you think?

Does that guy really want to work 136 hours per week? sure someone can do everything himself to save some bucks here and there but does he have the time, the will or the skill to really do it? Not sure lol. If architects want to become architect+3d artists, then we can become Architects too. No problem.

I think it's pretty exciting to see new technologies coming to help facilitate our job. I really don't think it's going to be THAT easier to do arch viz in the future. Just take 3d game engines or VR as an example, it has a bigger learning curve than using corona or even lumion. And there is always the high-end visualisations that it's impossible for a non-dedicated person to even approach...

I think it depends on the Architect/client. I've worked exclusively for Architecture firms as an in-house digital artist. What I've seen since Sketchup and Revit have come to be more widespread is the prevailing attitude of "good enough". My work had changed from being asked to make traditional renderings (realistic as possible in the time given) to compositing architectural elements into bad cell phone photos.

A good amount of projects that would have normally come across my desk were instead never making it to me because the Architect on the project either whipped a (bad) quick image in revit or had an intern spend a couple hours and produce a sketchup rendering. Neither were good renderings even by revit and sketchup standards, but they were good enough to get the point across to the client.

Don't think we're at the point that our jobs are in jeopardy as been stated up thread, what we do isn't just about the tools we know how to use, it's how we use them. That said, I think there is a certain lower level of work that will dry up. Instead of a firm contracting 20 renderings a year, they may only contract 5, but those 5 will be high end, high quality images. while the other 15 will be handled in-house and placed in the "good enough" bin.

I believe arch viz is going to become even more of a niche market. We architects need you visualizers less and less because of software like Sketchup. Often times all we need is to spin around a crappy 3D model to show our client and they get the idea. We can also do decent 3D renderings straight out of Sketchup using a plugin or even in 3dsMax. A lot of architecture students coming out of school have the ability to produce pretty high quality renderings and they will get hired at a firm to do regular architecture work and also do some renderings on the side.

The Arch Viz industry will never go away, just like someone mentioned how people taking photographs will never go away. The high end architecture companies and developers will still need you but you all better up your game.

This is my opinion. Much love.

I believe arch viz is going to become even more of a niche market

I would argue to contrary. The 'core' subset that used to be best described by this term, a polished contest image, is becoming a lesser percentage of the overall body of work being produced without getting smaller itself, indication that the industry, is growing a lot, and I would personally say, second fastest to computer games if we take the whole CGI.

High class architectural studios all-around world (from Fosters, BIG to Snohetta), are growing and globally competing ever more, and these studios, each soak up ton of architectural students each year, aren't out-sourcing their images any less, despite having large teams capable of producing "good-enough" work, which they do, but these are never used outside of design process. This is very obvious when certain projects from single studio get distributed between quite a lot of top players (I think I can remember from head about two/three projects from BIG that got distributed between Dbox, Squint and MIR for it to even be finished on time last year). But this is the top crop.

On architectural small-to-mid level, the need to outsource is lesser due to budgetary constraints, so we see a growing trend of D-i-Y among them, but with even small-scale clients getting used to visualization as standard of service (from popularization on TV-series from rebuilding apartments, from requesting visualization as public policy in modern urbanizations, etc..) the quantitative and qualitative needs might simply outgrow their capacity, forcing them to outsource this service in order to survive and potentially grow their business.

Now the last remark regarding the assurance of high-level work to stay, I would say this notion ignores the rise of architectural visualization outside of architectural competitions and real-estate developments, which created a huge field of possible new work, ranging from low-level as well. Kitchen studios, Furniture companies, Set design, Scenography, etc.. we're living in visual age, the need to touch and consume life-like imagery and the need for interaction is only growing. There will be no shortage of work for people with skills for architectural visualization.