The new Xbox for RealTime

thomas+son

You need somekind of 3D engine to drive it. By itself, it's just a processor and a graphics card, just like a computer.

I assume you want to make a 'video game' out of your 3D? If so - good luck!! Seriously, you'd have to have someone that could program the correct engine, make sure your 3D was made and optimized for it (trust me, it's incredibly tedious and time consuming). It would cost a fortune, in the end. If it were easy, everyone would be making them, including making video games.

The other option are programs like Eon (that's what I've used, about $4k a pop) or Anark (not sure, but not cheap). They still require that you optimize your models (make sure textures are small, correct dimensions, bake the lighting, delete unnecessary faces, keep poly count low,etc., etc.). It's a real pain and I can honestly tell you, unless your client is willing to spend waaaaaay more than an animation woudl cost, it's just not practical.

You'd also need a FAST machine, with the best graphics cards (the textures will kill a graphic card VERY fast), to drive the presentation.

Just a heads up. I found it to be extremely tedious, but with HUGE potential for the future (just not there yet, especially with the hardware).

Do some searches. I believe it's the Unreal engine that is free now, but you'd still need an expert (read: highly paid) to do anything with it.

Good luck.

.. but before you can play around with the new xbox and your own 3d scenes , you have to buy a development pack for ~10k euros and then you still can't be sure if you can publish your scenes without paying a fee to microsoft. ... it's just to bind all the creative energy to the industry ...that's the real game!

Even if you had the money for the SDK and tools, Microsoft could refuse, and considering that you would ask for a kit to make architectural presentations, then they probably wouldn't let you have it since they don't want people to mess with the Xbox in ways they didn't intend beforehand. So, I don't think there is much of a chance for that happening.

I know the new 360 is not for sale yet , but was wondering if anyone has used the “UnReal” and Xbox combination.

Process Model, bring into UnReal, and Even the old Xbox has a connection to download Maps that other people have made (Microsoft knows there is a whole subculture of map makers).

What was interesting is MRCamper Noted At HLK they use the UnReal and push 6 Million Polys, the New Xbox360 advertises 500 million polys.

The benefit of Xbox is the simplistic, yes a tricked out 3D laptop is great but not when the virus checker popped up during a presentation (happen to my boss May 5).

I would NOT take the SDK approach but just a simple map editor wanting to put my map in Xbox.

My wife did not believe me when I said I needed the Xbox for architectural exploration.

I know people have made the models and converted to UnReal, my question I wanted to throw out there is has anyone made the step to Xbox.??

Thomas+son

I know the new 360 is not for sale yet , but was wondering if anyone has used the “UnReal” and Xbox combination.

Process Model, bring into UnReal, and Even the old Xbox has a connection to download Maps that other people have made (Microsoft knows there is a whole subculture of map makers).

What was interesting is MRCamper Noted At HLK they use the UnReal and push 6 Million Polys, the New Xbox360 advertises 500 million polys.

The benefit of Xbox is the simplistic, yes a tricked out 3D laptop is great but not when the virus checker popped up during a presentation (happen to my boss May 5).

I would NOT take the SDK approach but just a simple map editor wanting to put my map in Xbox.

My wife did not believe me when I said I needed the Xbox for architectural exploration.

I know people have made the models and converted to UnReal, my question I wanted to throw out there is has anyone made the step to Xbox.??

Thomas+son

I wasn't saying that the Xbox 360 isn't for sell. I'm saying that to use the Xbox for architectural presentations (or any other commercial way) you have to get a license from Microsoft for its SDK and they probably would refuse to give you that. Also you have to get a license of the Unreal engine too like HKS did. For example, you could try to get a license of the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime but you would still need to get a license from Microsoft for the use of the Xbox in the way that you want it to. Just because there you can buy an Xbox doesn't mean you can use it in any way you want to (just like with software), and just because the editor for the Unreal Engine exist and its available for download doesn't mean you can use it for commercial architectural presentations.

I can't comment on the Microsoft SDK barriers but if this is solvable you wouldn't be limited to the Unreal engine. The free, open-source OGRE 3D http://www.ogre3d.org/ is cross-platform (windows, mac, linux) and there are people working on Playstation and Xbox ports with some success already. I can't imagine it would be too long after the Xbox 2 launch that someone would tackle a port for it.

Brian.