Realtime and light

nawash

I use 3DSMAX and Virtools.

I use render to texture technic to bring the 3DSMAX rendering in realtime.

Do you have any recommendations in max to make this process faster, more efficient, or with better results ?

Two tips:

1. Collapse as many objects as possible by attaching them. This will provide you with less objects for baking, making it both easier for you and for VirTools.

2. Look out for overall texture resolution. Arrange your objects in a way so you get roughly the same texture resolution on everything. You do this with a combination of testure size and/or the amount of objects collapsed.

Regards

Thomas

• 1 month later...

thank you for reply, I'll try this.

But I am not still satisfied with the quality of the rendering : the rendering loks great in Max but the texture quality is not good looking.

I'll keep trying, if you have further recommendation, feel free :-)

I do not have screenshot yet, since it is not decent enough

I am still struggling ( :- ) ) with the quality at first I was using complete maps but this does not sound to be a good solution, I'll use lightmaps and multitexturing.

I use tga, but to put it onlineI'll use png, as you said.

I'll show you as soon as I can

thx for the help

how do you apply multitexturing with turntool? i heard that there isn't real multitexturing, but rather a kind trick of lightmap alpha-channel blending to achieve the same effect.

most of the turntool-examples i have seen were done with complete-maps.

• 2 months later...

Hi Olav

Try to look at this sample - you can also download the source http://www.turntool.com/tnt/lightmap/index.html

I don't do modelling myself but read about it in the last newsletter.

"LightMapping support has been added. Making it possible to put one layer of texture containing the diffuse texture map and second layer on top of the diffuse containing the illumination. The illumination layer can make the diffuse layer below both brighter and darker, giving you the chance of making both shadows and specular highlights."

Claus