Dual Monitor Graphics Cards

I've read the numerous posts on this forum dealing with graphics cards, and somehow they have helped and confused me at the same time. I'm shopping for a mid range (

Some cards in my $$ that I'm considering are Oxygen GVX420, Wildcat VP560, Fire GL 8800??

Avoid the Wildcat VP cards. The entire oxygen line is completely obsolete. (Outperformed by virtually everything).

What app will you be using these cards with? The FireGL 8800 is a decent card if your using maya...bit worse then a 750XL (Quadro4) if your using max.

Greg, thanks for the response. I am using only lightscape for rendering and form Z for modelling only. no gaming or other special needs other than dual monitor desktop.

we have a 700XGL in the office that i can utilize but i'm not very impressed with it. Any advice you have about a better card for these applications is much appreciated!!

A 700XL is a bit slower then a 750XL, but both should perform near each other. Realistically I don't really know of any cards that offer better bang for the buck then the Quadro4's. The Quadro FX's are too expensive, and the FireGL's aren't cutting it performance wise.

Folks, I have decided to buy the Quadro4 750 to use with 2 monitors, but i'm not sure what monitor configuration it will support. I have a very good VGA main monitor and i'll be getting a cheap 14" secondary mainly for toolbars and such.

Can the card support 2 VGA monitors or do you need 1 VGA and 1 DVI? What about using adaptors?? Any info is appreciated.

Will

hmmmm

I know Greg is gonna cancel out my thought here, but here goes anyway:

If I were you I'd shave $$$ on the card, get a matrox G450 (probablly around $50 - $90), and spend some more on a better second monitor.

Why:

• I use the exact same combination as you (LS $ FMZ) and both won't benefit much from a really extra fast card.
  • It maches the age of the other hardware you got.
  • It has great drivers for dual monitoring - comparing to others (Nvidia)
  • Exlnt 2d and video image
  • You always want to have 2 monitors that are the same size and quality - much easier to work with
  • No drivers problems in LS (from experience)

Just a line of thinking...

• 1 month later...